Referencing worksheets

niecie

=SUMIF('[Contract Status Report.xls]2004'!$F:$F,A37,'[Contract Status Report.xls]2004'!$M:$M)

How can I change the above formula for it to search across all worksheets for the match of the address? We don't want to have to go into each cell and change the formula everytime.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Confused

Okay so now I am really confused. I am not familiar with this at all. Can you help me a little more? I downloaded the link you sent but now what do I do. I am very uncomfortable with this. I can write formulas all day long but this is out of my realm. HELP!!!! :cry:

Upvote 0
There is no native function in Excel that will let you do a formula like:

=sum(A1 of sheet1 through sheet3)

What Zack is suggesting is to download the morefunc add-in which, just like the analysis toolpak, adds additional formulas to Excel. One of these is THREED, which will allow you to do a "of sheets 1 through 3" type formula.

If you don't want to go down that road, you can try
=SUMIF(Sheet1!$F:$F,A37,Sheet1!$M:$M) + SUMIF(Sheet2!$F:$F,A37,Sheet2!$M:$M) + SUMIF(Sheet3!$F:$F,A37,Sheet3!$M:$M)

Or, list each cell in its own cell and then sum them.

You can use the indirect formula to write formulas as text [handy if you have sheet names listed in a column and want your formula to make =sumif(indirect(A1&"!$F:$F"),A37,indirect(A1&"!$M:$M))].

But, you really have 3 options:
1) Zack's add-in
2) three different sumif formulas
or 3) VBA.

Upvote 0
Willing to Learn

I am willing to learn Zack's way I just need a little more guidance (hand holding) :)

Upvote 0
You wouldn't be able to use the entire column, and you'd have to make your ranges the same size. And then you could adapt something like this ...

=SUMPRODUCT(--(THREED('[Contract Status Report.xls]2003:2004'!$F$1:$F$500)=B1),(THREED('[Contract Status Report.xls]2003:2004'!$M$1:$M$500)))

The two (possibly more) sheets here are assumed to be '2003' and '2004'. Now this formula will look at sheet '2003' as the left-most sheet and sheet '2004' as the right-most sheet; so everything in between these two sheets will also be looked at. It is determined by sheet position.

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back