tabbing thru a form to enter data

wilcox96

Board Regular
i've created a form that i want users to hit "enter" or "tab" and it advances to the next cell for entry. the cells are not all aligned or in order.

"without" using vba, is there a way to accomplish this? I have tried (I believe it was )CTRL enter...to select these cells. However it is too volatile as the sequence can be wiped out if the user gets off track or hits any key other than enter.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide...

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
wilcox96,

If your sheet is protected, hitting "tab" will activate the next unprotected cell.
Does this get you furhter?

kind regards,
Erik

TEST
open a new sheet
CTRL-click some cells and color them yellow
Format, cellproperties, unprotect
protect the sheet
tabbing will bring you to all yellow cells

Upvote 0
yes...mainly

well, i did as you suggested... and it "does" work.. however, i noticed that it would tab across, along a row (to the selected cells) then, down to the next row and so forth... but it did not advance in the "order" i selected them when i set it up.

I think it might be livable though... will send it out there and see if i get any feedback from the staff...

you are always a big help, erik...thanks...

Upvote 0
Can you send the "celltaborder"?
There will be a solution to make it work the way you want.

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
re: cell tab order?

so...do you mean tell you the name of each cell in the order i want it to jump to? (ie: A1, A2, D3, D4, F6...ect)? like that?

Upvote 0
YES!
just make the list
don't know if I will have got time next few days, but if nobody takes over you can count om me next week

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
re: cell list

These are the cells, in order I am talking about:

C6, C7, C8, C9, C10, H5, H6, H7, H8, H9, H10, H11, T5, T6, T7, T8, T9, T10, T11, C13, L13, S13

(Some of the cells listed above are actually merged with other cells to provide a larger typing area...but the initial "start" of the section of merged cells is what i indicated)

After manually selecting a couple of drop down boxes (i can't make them automatically go the the drop down boxes, can i?), then they will select B21 and continue from there. I don't see a need to have auto advancement from this point on because it is pretty straight forward and has a natural flow across the row. Plus, some orders will require more (or less) rows than others. No sense making them advance through cells if they don't need to.

Thanks for your help, Erik...

Upvote 0
OK, try this,

everytime a cell is changed this code will fly you to the next cell as set in the array

kind regards,
Erik

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'Erik Van Geit
'050315 0319
Dim taborder As Variant
Dim i As Long
Application.EnableEvents = False
taborder = Array("C6", "C7", "C8", "C9", "C10", "H5", "H6", "H7", "H8", "H9", "H10", _
"H11", "T5", "T6", "T7", "T8", "T9", "T10", "T11", "C13", "L13", "S13")
i = -1
On Error Resume Next
i = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Target.Address(0, 0), taborder, 0) - 1
On Error GoTo 0
If i = -1 Then GoTo skip
If i < UBound(taborder) Then Range(taborder(i + 1)).Select Else Range(taborder(0)).Select
skip:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
vba? hmmm

well, having never attempted vba... but dangerous enough to find where to copy the formula in there...ha. i still don't know how to actually "make it do what it's supposed to do". once i copy, paste into the vba window...what happens next? is there something i do that activates it? do i need to be on a specific cell at some point to start the process? (because it's not working now)

i love the concept you state...perfect. but if i can't do this...is there a "non-vba" way to do it?

thanks....!

Upvote 0
Just follow these steps:

1. Select the sheet you want code to work in
2. right click the the "Name Tab" of sheet
3. Select "View Code" in drop down menu
4. VBE window will open ... paste code in and exit VBE

kind regards,
Erik

PS be welcome with furhter questions ... but next 24 hours I'll not be here

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggy66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back