Not really a question . . . . . . . . . .

damian_r

This is not really a question but I thought I would post it anyway.

What is the best, craziest, longest formula that you have ever come up with and also what is the best spreadsheet you have ever come up with (I guess you can also apply craziest to this one as well).

Give a brief description of what the formula/spreadsheet does with any reply postings.

Damian

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Interesting "Not really a question..."

In fact one of my best spreadsheets that I ever created was one spreadsheet that is used by one bank. The spreadsheet is infact a plave where they put all credit files in all network of the bank (more than 150 branches and more than few hundred thousand customers).

If that helps you anyway....

=(($W10-((($W10/$X$8)/(((((($W$5/$X$6)-1)*$W$6)+1)*$X$7))*$X$7)*$W$7)*$X$8))*($X$5/$W$5)+((($W10/$X$8)/(((((($W$5/$X$6)-1)*$W$6)+1)*$X$7))*$X$7)*$W$7)*$X$8

but more for the math problem that led me there more than the formula itself. :biggrin:

=IF(ISNA(v(VLOOKUP(RIGHT(OFFSET(INDEX('Page 4'!$B$2:$BA$2,,MATCH($B$1,'Page 4'!$B$2:$BA$2,1)),MATCH($A5,'Page 4'!$A$3:$A$300,0),),4)&" "&RIGHT(OFFSET(INDEX('Page 4'!$B$2:$BA$2,,MATCH($B$1,'Page 4'!$B$2:$BA$2,1)),MATCH($A5,'Page 4'!$A$3:$A$300,0)+1,),4)&" "&RIGHT(OFFSET(INDEX('Page 4'!$B$2:$BA$2,,MATCH($B$1,'Page 4'!$B$2:$BA$2,1)),MATCH($A5,'Page 4'!$A$3:$A$300,0)+2,),4)&" "&RIGHT(OFFSET(INDEX('Page 4'!$B$2:$BA$2,,MATCH($B$1,'Page 4'!$B$2:$BA$2,1)),MATCH($A5,'Page 4'!$A$3:$A$300,0)+3,),4),$AK$4:$AL$18,2,FALSE))),"",v())

It took a while, but it works surprisingly well, especially considering all of the variables it's looking for...Normally I wouldn't do something so heinous, but it addressed the specific need that my boss had.

Smitty

EDIT: It looks at specific premium pages of our publication (Page 4 of 16 in this case), across 52 possible publication dates based upon an input date (the PennySaver is a weekly publication), through a range of 116 individual publication zones, for any number of possible page configurations from 1/4, 1/2 (vertical or horizontal), 3/4 & Full Page and lists them in a cell. I.E. "Tony's Pizza - 1/2V") It gives us an idea of how well a particular market is doing with regards to selling their positions. I'd post an example, but it's confidential as it deals with pre-publication information... :wink:

=IF(AND($N3,G3="C"),IF($N3<>3,INDEX(Miles,MATCH(G$10,MRows,0),MATCH(1,$G3:$K3,0))&" "&INDEX($G$10:$K$10,0,MATCH(1,$G3:$K3,0)),MIN(INDEX(Miles,MATCH(G$10,MRows,0),MATCH(1,$G3:$K3,0)),INDEX(Miles,MATCH(G$10,MRows,0),MATCH(1,$G3:$K3)))&" "&INDEX(MRows,SUMPRODUCT(--(F3:J3=1),--(Sheet2!$B3:$F3=MIN(INDEX(Miles,MATCH(G$10,MRows,0),MATCH(1,$G3:$K3,0)),INDEX(Miles,MATCH(G$10,MRows,0),MATCH(1,$G3:$K3,0)))),--(COLUMN(Sheet2!$B3:$F3)))-COLUMN(Sheet2!$A3),0)),"")

which would have been even longer w/o the defined range names.

And this had a sheet of helper formulas in front! See: http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=79555&highlight=

=IF(OR(D$12="",$A13="o"),"",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B13&","&Trend_OrderType&","&Trend_ProcessStep,Composite1,1,FALSE)),"n/a",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B13,SubTrend_NPCs,1,FALSE)),"No Data",SUMPRODUCT((SubTrend_Months=D$12)*(SubTrend_NPCs=$B13)*SubTrend_Counts*(SubTrend_TAT<=(VALUE(RIGHT(VLOOKUP($B13&","&Trend_OrderType&","&Trend_ProcessStep,TargetsTable,2,FALSE),2)))+IF($C13<>1,0,VLOOKUP($B13&","&Trend_OrderType&","&Trend_ProcessStep,TargetsTable,3,FALSE))))/SUMPRODUCT((SubTrend_Months=D$12)*(SubTrend_NPCs=$B13)*SubTrend_Counts))))

Part of a spreadsheet that tracks our leadtimes to overseas affiliates. The user can pick an order type from a validation list and a process step from another validation list. Change-event handler runs a query to pull part of the data from a large datablock. This formula counts the # of transactions in the query-result data block that match targets for that process step & order type to that customer, which are stored in a lookup table; splitting the results based on month. All of the names are either named ranges, or named formulae.

Smitty -- ¿¿v()?? ¿Qué es eso?

Code:
Public Function V(Optional vrnt As Variant) As Variant

' Stephen Dunn
' 2002-09-12

' // The fuction V is used to prevent having to  //
' // calculate the same thing twice, as is:      //
' // =IF(ISERROR(your formula),"",(your formula) //
' // The syntax for use is similar to the above: //
' // =IF(ISNA(V(VLOOKUP(Args))),"",V())          //

Static vrntV As Variant

If Not IsMissing(vrnt) Then vrntV = vrnt
V = vrntV

End Function

And I'm just now seeing this little gem?! This is one that I'll be trying out!!! Thanks, Jon (and Smitty)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrSabo83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back