is this possible to code this !!!!!!!!!

mercmannick

:confused:

i have a shared workbook on a networked drive,

i would like to be able to grab some specific dat from this file without opening it ?

the data i require though is only identifiable as interior colour red , any other data in this col i would like to ignore,

would like to be able to copy entire row and put in new workbook.

basically this sheet (networked one) i would normally put a autofilter on and on col c pick which section i am looking at at time, ie: workcentres "S17", filter to just these , then look in col j and if it is highlighted red then copy this row to a new workbook and so on,

any help would be appreciated

Merc
:confused:

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
i would like to be able to grab some specific dat from this file without opening it ?
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any way to get data (through code or otherwise) from a workbook that's not open.
Dave

Upvote 0
Dave

You can get data from a closed book (thing Vlookup), but I don't think this sort of evaluation on a closed book can be done.

Tony

Upvote 0
dont really mind if it needs to be opened , can allways close it after copied what i need,

Merc

Upvote 0
not sure how this will help

i need to use the autofilter on the sheet and then pick out only the rows with col d highlighted in red then transfer this data to a new workbook

Thanks

Merc

Upvote 0
See Chip Peason's site http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm for his cellcolorindex function, which assigns a number to a cell based on it's colour.

You can then use a lookup to pick up all those cells that are a certain colour.

The fact that the workbook is closed is irrelevant.

Upvote 0
in your vlookup, so long as you point to the book/sheet where you want your data to be pulled from, you wont need to open it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnaRisso

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back