VBA Consulting need advice

nullZero

I have been trying to pick up some consulting work on the side, and I have a former co-worker who I've done some free work for in the past that is now offering to pay. I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out what to charge her.

On the one hand I don't want to scare her off, but on the other I enjoy what I do so much that I'm afraid I may be undervaluing myself. I make about $30/hour at my regular job so I guess that's what I'm thinking I'll charge.

I am just wondering what others charge for this type of work.

Thanks!
nZ

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
As a rule of thumb, John Walkenbach (author of The Excel Bible and several other very good books) says on his website that he charges $100/hr for his consulting services. As such, I'd certainly raise my eyebrows to anyone charging more than that.

IMHO, $30/hr is a very reasonable price for an experienced programmer; and, if you feel comfortable with it, and your client feels comfortable with it, that's really all that matters.

It just occured to me that a lot of people may not want to reveal what they personally charge. Maybe the better question would have been what is a reasonable rate.

I appreciate your input.

nZ

LOL! Some people may not want to put that indeed! :LOL:

IMHO, I would say anything between $20-$50 per hour. That is depending on a few things, i.e. your skills/knowledge (as compared to others in the field), your average rate, project size, what others of your caliber are charging, and of course how much of a PITA the project will be. LOL!

All in all, that's not a bad rate, I don't think. It's very reasonable. We can't all be John Walkenbach's (t'would be nice!) so keeping prices reasonable is a big issue. I've heard other consultants say, "take what you make everyday, double it, that's what you should charge." Which I think also depends on what you make. What I get out of that is about the range I specified above, depending of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
germani40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back