Set image object as backgroung of cell and be printable

ktab

Hello,

How can i set an image (transparent does not suit me) as a cell's background (like watermark or so) and be able to print it? I have tried background but discovered that you may not print background.
The problem is that i want whatever is the cell's value i want it to be visible on top of image.

Thank you
Kostas

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Kinda surprising Excel doesn't offer something like that isn't it?

If watermarks are what you're after, there are ways to do it... Most speak in terms of wordart with a transparency. On printouts the wordart workups look very watermarkish. On the sheet you can tell it overlays the data. I think the MS example above only applies to the more recent version of Excel.

I have two other tricks that I use when wordart just doesn't cut it... One is a VBA method for printing that background that you've noticed can't be printed.

http://www.xl-logic.com/xl_files/formulas/watermark.zip

Upvote 0
Never played with the .copypicture method, Aaron. Pretty nifty.

(Oh, and FWIW, I rather like your Excel user scale)

Upvote 0
Thank you both, I will check the options and links offered, and get back whether worked or not. And yes that's a pitty such a complete program like excel is not to offer something like this..

Upvote 0
Aaron Blood i admit that your background print code is just what i needed. I know that i might ask for alot, but as i see it prints out the lines for rows & columns; how can i prevent it?

Upvote 0
Somewhere before the call to copypicture add a line of code to turn off gridlines... i.e.

Code:
ActiveWindow.DisplayGridlines = False

Upvote 0
I don't have any legal-sized paper to test on. But in looking over the code in Aaron's workbook, I'm not seeing anything that looks to me like it would preclude use on A4 nor US Legal. I would think that one you had the PaperSize property of the PageSetup object defined appropriately and your PrintArea set properly, Aaron's macro would execute just fine. Is that not happening?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back