Order Entry System Flaw need help

jeff007

I have a order entry system I composed in excel that works great except for one fatal flaw.

I have a products list with model numbers, descriptions, and prices

I have a customers orders sheet that takes the customers info; ie name , address, phone number,quantity of item purchased and , product purchased ect.

I have a purchase order

I have a sales Receipt

I enter the customers info in the customers orders sheet 1 customer per row each with its own unique order number

I then go to the sales receipt sheet and enter the order number, I have programmed the sales receipt sheet to lookup all
the information it needs from either the customers order sheet or the products sheet and after I enter the order
number everything gets filled in automatically, same thing for the purchase order sheet

The one flaw I have is that when a manufacturer changes their prices or I change my prices, the product model number doesnt change, and all my formulas are using the model number of the product to key on.

Here is what happens. Customer buys a hammer model number 100 on Jan 1, 2006, the cost of the hammer to myself is $5.00 and the customers price is $10. On June of 2006 the manufacturer
raises the price of the hammer model# 100 to $6.00, and I in turn raise the price to $12.00, the pricing has changed but not the model number of the hammer. I put the changed price
into the products sheet and prepare the order for a customer who buys the hammer in July and the sales receipt returns the correct new price and so does the purchase order, however
the 24 hammers that were previously sold in months prior to the June markup are now affected and return the higher marked up price in their respective rows.
I have not been able to resolve this problem since all my sheets key on the model number of the product being purchased to draw this info from. The only thing I have been able to come up with is
that when prices for a product change a new products sheet is made call it PRODUCTS2 and then all formulas from that date forward are set to key on the new PRODUCTS2 sheet instead of the originalProducts sheet. This approach actually works but I now have multiple manufacturers with lots of products and each manufacturer makes price changes at different times of the yearwhich means I could havee dozens of different ProDUCTS sheets and having to change lots of formulas. I would greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction towards a solution. Thank you for your help.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
When you create an order do you actually need to keep the formulas?

Couldn't you use Paste Special...Values once the order has been completed?

Upvote 0
The formulas are imbeded in each sheet so that all I have to do is enter the customers info in the orders sheet and then input the order number into the sales receipt or purchase order and it populates the form instantly

Upvote 0
the way I have it setup now I can view an entire years sales info one one customer order sheet

Upvote 0
I understand that the formulas are on the worksheets.

But once an order is completed do you actually need to keep those formulas?

Wouldn't it just be the data ie values that the formulas return that's needed?

An other thought would be that you could add some sort of date information to the pricing data.

Then you could somehow reference that in the formulas to make sure you pull the correct prices.

That would add some more complexity to the setup, but it also might be useful if you wanted to, say, monitor price fluctuations.

Upvote 0
I probably am not explaining this corectly but, picture one spreadsheet with approximately 150 columns and each colum has a formula in it. Our products are faily expensive and we do approximately 1000 sales a year, so there are 150 columns with 1000 rows and each row has a formula in every cell except the input areas such for the customers address ect. The other colums calculate the quantity, price and color options for each item, price for shipping for Item1, Item2, Item3...Item10, the cost for each item, the sales price of each item, the shipping cost for each item, the method used ie credit card , check ect, , salemans commissions, merchant fees for each transaction, and finally sales amount, the one customer orders sheet keeps a running record of all transations for the year and the formulas are set so while I dont need to keep the formulas to have a record of the transaction I need the formulas to calculate everything automatically.

You suggestion about associating a DATE with price for an item seems like something that might work, I will have to think about how it could be implemented however. Right now the product sheet contains the model number,description, sales price, cost, and shipping (if flat rate shipping applies), possibly I could separate the info and make two sheets for the Product one with the model number cost, and ship cost and a different one with the model number and sales price. Then I would just need a formula that looks up the date of the order and compares it to the amount listed under the date is was entered and if the order date is equal to or less than the date the item was marked up it would return the correct price. That sounds like it will work but I dont know how to write the formula. Any advice?

Upvote 0
Ok here is what I have, each of the below are individual worksheets, each have formulas entered into them that make the
Sales Receipt, and Purchase order populate with the customers order info automatically.

CustomerOrder
SalesReceipt
Purchase Order
Products

The CustomerOrder,SalesReceipt,Purchase Order all lookup info from the products table to complete entries in their respective worksheets.

Problem- price changes affect the customer order sheet for older orders using older prices. Since the customers order sheet is also used as a main
snap shot sheet to return various reports such as total sales by month,manufacturterm sales commsiions ect, all cells are programed to return info using the
current product list so once new product prices are entered old sales that remain on the customer order sheet are effected by using the new price instead of the old price at which they were sold.

Solution:

Make a new products sheet
.......A......................B....................C.......................D....................E......
1....Date..................................1/1/06...............2/1/06..............3/1/06
2....Item#........ Description....ProductPrice....ProductPrice.....ProductPrice
3....45689.........Widget Red.... $2695.00........ $2795.00.......... $2895.00

I need a formula that I can enter on the customerorder sheet that will lookup the order date from the customersorder sheet
and then lookup the product in the product sheet and return the price that correlates to the product price at the time the order was entered. Right now it just takes entry 5 from my products list to return a price, the formula in one cell that returns the price off product 1 currently
looks like this:

=IF(AB858=0,0,VLOOKUP(AC858,PRODUCTS2!$A$1:$G$20122,5,FALSE))*AB858

How do I make an excel formula that looks at cell B858 (this is the cell containing the date of the order in my customerorder sheet)
and selects the correct price from the products list? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Jeff

I don't think that's a good solution.

You will run out of columns eventually since Excel is currently restricted to 256 columns, therefore 256 days/dates.

Upvote 0
Ok here is what I have, each of the below are individual worksheets, each have formulas entered into them that make the
Sales Receipt, and Purchase order populate with the customers order info automatically.

CustomerOrder
SalesReceipt
Purchase Order
Products

The CustomerOrder,SalesReceipt,Purchase Order all lookup info from the products table to complete entries in their respective worksheets.

Problem- price changes affect the customer order sheet for older orders using older prices. Since the customers order sheet is also used as a main
snap shot sheet to return various reports such as total sales by month,manufacturterm sales commsiions ect, all cells are programed to return info using the
current product list so once new product prices are entered old sales that remain on the customer order sheet are effected by using the new price instead of the old price at which they were sold.

Solution:

Make a new products sheet
.......A......................B....................C.......................D....................E......
1....Date..................................1/1/06...............2/1/06..............3/1/06
2....Item#........ Description....ProductPrice....ProductPrice.....ProductPrice
3....45689.........Widget Red.... $2695.00........ $2795.00.......... $2895.00

I need a formula that I can enter on the customerorder sheet that will lookup the order date from the customersorder sheet
and then lookup the product in the product sheet and return the price that correlates to the product price at the time the order was entered. Right now it just takes entry 5 from my products list to return a price, the formula in one cell that returns the price off product 1 currently
looks like this:

=IF(AB858=0,0,VLOOKUP(AC858,PRODUCTS2!$A$1:$G$20122,5,FALSE))*AB858

How do I make an excel formula that looks at cell B858 (this is the cell containing the date of the order in my customerorder sheet)
and selects the correct price from the products list? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
The prices will generally change no more than 2 times a year for any one manufacturer and I have 20 manufacturers so if I make 24 lists say one for the begining of the month and one for the 15th of each month, (they usually will allow a few weeks after they announce a price change before it goes into effect) this should work provided that the formula looks at the order entry and compares it to the list and selects the list with closest to that date but not greater than that date, I just dont know how I would right such a formula

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amyap

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back