Embed a Control Textbox into a Chart

mdmyler

I'm trying to embed a control textbox (so that I can then link the control box to a series of cells) into an Excel chart. Is this possible? I can do it no problem with a standard textbox, but can't link multiple cell values (formatted) into a standard text box. What am I overlooking?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I'm trying to link data from the spreadsheet into the text box. For example if you create a simple textbox from the drawing menu and type in the formula bar =a1:a2 the value in cell a1 will appear in the text box (but not the value in cell a2). If however you create a text box from the control toolbox menu and do the same thing (replace the Embed("Forms.TextBox.1","") with a1:a2) the values and formats of those multiple cells become linked to this text box. This is exactly what I need EXCEPT I can't lind the control toolbox created textbox to a Chart. Does this make sense or did I confuse the issue even more?

Upvote 0
If you want a range comprised of several cells in a single row or a single column, copy the range, then hold Shift while clicking on the Edit menu, and select Paste Picture Link. This pastes a linked picture of the range in the worksheet. Copy this linked picture, select the chart, and paste. This unlinks the picture but places it into the chart. Now select this pasted picture (the one in the chart), click in the formula bar, and restore the formula link, including the sheet name:

=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$2

The end result is similar to that of using the camera tool, but I find camera tool objects on charts sometimes behave a little flaky. This procedure takes a couple of extra steps, but seems more robust.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andile

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back