me and arrays

scotawful

Board Regular
Ok, I'm just discovering the wonderful things arrays can do. What I'd like to do is assign a certain range of cells to an array value, and then insert those values into another sheet somewhere else in my VBA code. Does anyone know the syntax or how I might go about doing this??

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
With all due respect, this in itself sounds a little gratuitous. Might I ask why? E.g., Don't like copy & pasting?

Don't get me wrong, I like arrays for certain things...

Upvote 0
the thing is, I'd like the range assigned to the array to be dynamic. I've written other codes where I use the cut/paste methods, and cycle through different ranges repeatedly with 'for' statements and offset commands, but it gets ugly. My code would be much cleaner if I could set a value like:

myarray = array(range("d33:336").value)

or something simmilar. I know this code is nowhere near what I'm supposed to do, but I think you an get the idea. It would be great if there were some way to assign a range of cells to a single variable, and then later recall the values in that range. Is this even possible??

Upvote 0
Probably, the question remains, why (in terms of assigning the values to an array)? There probably isn't a real need for this, try asssigning the range in question to a range object. Try something like the following, it's dynamic based on z's input range:

Code:
Sub tryMe()
Dim z As Range
Set z = Range("d33:f336")
Sheets(2).[a51].Resize(z.Rows.Count, z.Columns.Count).Value = z.Value
End Sub

In a certain sense, it is grabbing an array of Excel cells and passing them.

But yes, this will will work:
Code:
Dim f
f = Application.Transpose([d33:d336].Value)

But it's only a 1-d. You'll need to loop otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Oh yes, this works like a charm. You may not see the point, but I'm writing code where I have to reference the same size range of cells multiple times, but from difference reference points on the sheet each time. My previous cut/paste method within a loop got to be very bulky after a little while. This cuts down the code size and complexity quite a bit. Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0
Along the lines of what Nate mentioned, it seems you are caught up in discovering the wonders of a new tool.

If all you want to do is copy an arbitrary chunk of cells and paste that elsewhere, just use (the untested):
Code:
Range("b23:d35").copy destination:=range("x55")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back