how to set resolution?

mongkol

In Excel VBA, can we write the code to set up resolution to 1024x768 and after finish click button set it back?

Mongkol H.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Aloha...

I am not a programmer, BUT...

I was looking for the answer to your question at MSKb. I haven't found the answer to setting the resolution, but came across this:

ACC2000: How to Get the Right and Down Measurements of a Form 210141
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;210141

Although it's in Access, the calls are for windows API, so I'm expecting the code can be used just as well, or adapted to Excel.

I also noticed:

Using Visual Basic to Return Screen Elements 106719
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;106719

Why are you trying to set the screen resolution?

Tana-Lee

Upvote 0
Take a look at John Walkenbach's tips for determining current resolution settings.

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip06.htm

Tana Lee...Some folks, like my boss, who has 20-800 vision, set their screen size to 800x600 because they're essentially blind, while most of us use 1024x768. Apps in 1024x768 don't show the "full picture" when they're viewed in 800x600, hence the need to change Excel's zoom based upon screen setting.

Smitty

Upvote 0
Aloha, Smitty...

Thanks for the info.

As an aside from Mongkol's post...

Isn't it a better design technique to design for the smaller resolution/window so that the workbook/sheet/form can be viewed appropriately on most computers?

Tana-Lee

Upvote 0
Tana Lee said:
Aloha, Smitty...

Thanks for the info.

As an aside from Mongkol's post...

Isn't it a better design technique to design for the smaller resolution/window so that the workbook/sheet/form can be viewed appropriately on most computers?

Tana-Lee

As a general rule...yes.....but you should be mindful that you could be doing this for a small group only and it may well be better to prgm it for the majority user settings eg I know from the Stats from my site that
95% have a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 very few are below this, and a small percetage are above this.

Upvote 0
Howdy Tana, (I'm from Texas, I can say that!)

IMHO, "NO". As Ivan pointed out, look at the stats. Unless you're building ADA compliant apps, then train your users to either set the zoom or screen resolution. Or manually set it for the few, in my case many, who didn't know how...THEN

3 years ago it was a problem for us with small (14") monitors, but now everyone seems to have upgraded, and it hasn't been an issue with us anymore. (With the exception of the occasional nearly-blind guy...Who happens to see JUST FINE when we're out skiing or climbing!) And now he has a 19" monitor and still squints! :confused:

Smitty

Upvote 0
Aloha...

Does re-setting screen resolution imply that you need to re-format the size of your controls accordingly? Or do you just let the low resolution user scroll a lot? :wink:

Tana-Lee

Upvote 0
First ,

I don't know if you can reset a user's screen resolution without some SERIOUS API calls...(See J-Walk's tip on reading resolution and setting ZOOM accordingly...) - it would take Ivan to figure out the rest!

Second, let the "Low-Res" user scroll a lot...Until they learn better...Just don't take away their scroll bars!

As Ivan said, it's 5% (of his viewers right)? Ivan's is a pretty heavily visited site, so from a demographic/"survey says" standpoint, I'd stick with his numbers...

Or buy the "Low-Res" users some bi-focals! Lord knows we'll all need them soon enough!

Smitty

Upvote 0
I can only give one advise/

goto www.allapi.net. This is in my opinion the side if it's about api's.

Why they have a download programm which contains descriptions and sample's about api's And they've proven to me verry helpful.

Greetings monkey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiansth

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back