Summing part of filter list with formula or macro

rb

I have a "filtered databse" where I want to sum the data in the first few "visible" rows (assume 10 rows). I know the "=subtotal(9,range)" formula, but it doesn't work effectively, as each time I change the filter, the range changes in the formula. Is there a way around this to always select the first 10 visible rows without row numbers being specified?

Below is a macro that I recorded that works porly, because the row information for each selection would always have to be the same. This is a problem since the data will change weekly and thus the row numbers will be different effectively nullifying the usefulness of a macro.

Selection.AutoFilter
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=15, Criteria1:="2003"
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=14, Criteria1:="WEEK 1"
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=13, Criteria1:="MEN'S"
Sheets("Test").Select
Range("D11").Select
Sheets("MARS Data TY").Select
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=13, Criteria1:="WOMENS"
Sheets("Test").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(9,'MARS Data TY'!R[4]C:R[45]C[3])"
Range("D12").Select
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=13, Criteria1:="ACCESS"
Sheets("Test").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(9,'MARS Data TY'!R[4]C:R[822]C[3])"
Range("D13").Select
Selection.AutoFilter Field:=13, Criteria1:="BOYS"
Sheets("Test").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(9,'MARS Data TY'!R[4]C:R[291]C[3])"
Range("D14").Select

Also, Are there any great books out there on Excel and/or VBA (I have "Mastering Excel 2000 Premium Edition by Sybex" & "Microsoft Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA by John Walkenbach"). Both these books are good for initially understanding some beg and intermediate things, but after this they don't help with complex items.

Thanks in advance for any help you provide.

Rick

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Usually when I use filtered lists, I make sure that nothing else is above or below those lists. Then, SUBTOTAL(9,C:C) will always give the sum of the filtered rows in that column.

HTH

Denis

Upvote 0
Thank you,

Actually, I don't want to sum the entire column (that won't work in this situation for me). I literally want to sum only the first 30 numbers in a list that is about 200 rows long after I have filtered it down as far as possible.

Upvote 0
This can be accomplished with the addition of an extra column (we could do it all in one formula, but it would get rather large.

Given the source data in cols a & b, add another that will provide an incremental count of te filtered items using subtotal(2,range) as shown. The count of the first n filtered cells can then be done with the following:

=SUMPRODUCT((SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(A2:A20,ROW(A2:A20)-MIN(ROW(A2:A20)),,1)))*(B2:B20)*(C2:C20<=F1))

which needs to be array entered using control + shift + enter,not just enter, and assumes that n is specified in F1:
Book1
ABCDEF
1IDNumCountHowmany?6
2111Sumis21
Sheet3

...re-create the data as above & stick a filter on it to see the effect. post back if you need more.

Upvote 0
Thank you,

This solution was working great until I tried to apply it to 40,000 lines of data...the calc time started getting pretty long.

It will definitly be very useful in other spreadsheets I am using with less data. The formula is definitly beyond what I could have come up with.

Rick

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joel1122331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back