printing labels thru external application (NOT Word)

Felix Atagong

Looking for label printing in Excel on this forum I see that most people revert to importing Excel data from inside a Word document. I'm looking for a solution were Excel would open a 'third party' label program, export the data to that application (not the third application importing the data afterwards!), so that the user simply has to push the print button on that third application.

Has anybody done this already, and if yes, what label program is used?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Hi Felix,

I'm wondering if your desire to NOT use Word is based on the assumption that Word must import the data. Actually it is quite easy to have Excel open Word, "push" the data to it, and then do the print (don't even have to push the print button in Word).

But regarding specific programs for labels, I believe that you can download such software from the Avery Office Products (avery.com) website. Of course, avery.com also provides free downloads of the Avery forms wizard for Word.

I hope this helps.

Damon

Upvote 0
I have to agree with Damon. Once set up the user never even has to open excel. Nor is excel "imported" to excel. Word is simply using excel as it's data source. The end user doesn't even have to know excel exists all they do is open word and print labels.
And the person maintaining the excel database doesn't have to do anything with word.

Upvote 0
If you have MicroSoft Access, you can also use that to print labels. They have some nice pre-defined templates/wizards for printing labels.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, I was indeed believing that the person had to do some difficult manipulations inside Word to have labels printed.
But if I'm correct the label menu in Word does not allow the user to start printing at a certain row or column on an A4-laser-label-sheet, is it?
I'll try the Avery plug-in, I guess that one has some extra features...

Upvote 0
Nimrod said:
I have to agree with Damon. Once set up the user never even has to open excel. Nor is excel "imported" to excel. Word is simply using excel as it's data source. The end user doesn't even have to know excel exists all they do is open word and print labels.
And the person maintaining the excel database doesn't have to do anything with word.
And how you can do that? With any macro???

Upvote 0
Felix Atagong said:
But if I'm correct the label menu in Word does not allow the user to start printing at a certain row or column on an A4-laser-label-sheet, is it?
So, is it true? Because if it is, that means that in order to start label printing not from the first column/row another programm is needed???

Upvote 0
Hi julie30,

Regarding printing a partial sheet of labels in Word, the Avery templates I have used always want to fill an entire sheet of labels. These templates create each sheet of labels as a Table in Word, each cell of the table being one label. And since Word is WYSIWYG, you therefore must print entire sheets of labels. What I have done when I wanted to print a partial sheet is to delete the text from the labels I don't want to print before printing the sheets. So the label sheet prints out with those labels not printed (blank). This only takes a few seconds (doing it manually), but I have never automated it with code. I'm sure it could be automated if, for example, you wanted to import 50 sheets of label data from Excel, but skip the first five rows of labels on each sheet as it is printed. But if this were what you wanted to do, why import the data (that you didn't want to print) in the first place?

Damon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back