How can I kill custom buttons??

ntruong

Hello Experts,
I have a big headache..
I created some custom buttons (and they run macros) and was able to display them on different computers. Now we don't need them any more but no matter how many times I killed the custom toolbar (and the custom buttons were put on the custom toolbar) everytime I open though a new workbook or the same workbook, those custom buttons show up everytime. Please note that the workbook has network level that we share in the department and off-site office like one in Dallas for example.

Please help me KILL those CUSTOM BUTTONS once and for all.

Desperated,
Nee

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Check in you XLSTART folder (or alternate startup directory) if there are any .xlb file which may be causing your problem

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks, Iridium, but I don't understand much your message. Check in the xlstart folder then look for what...
Nee

Upvote 0
ntruong said:
Thanks, Iridium, but I don't understand much your message. Check in the xlstart folder then look for what...
Nee

Are there any files with a .xlb extension is what I meant

Upvote 0
Another possibility...

I'm assuming you're "killing" by using Customize... then Delete on Toolbars tab. But do note that if you have "Attached" the toolbar to a file, you must first click the Attach button and Delete it out of the workbook before you delete it off the toolbars tab, else it will come back from the dead.

Upvote 0
Hi Greg,
Thanks.
And I did as you said .. it is gone from my excel window (meaning from any workbook I open) but when the same file is opened from my coworker's pc, the custom toolbar is still there. Is it because it was first built from a spreadsheet that has network level?

Nee

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean by "network level" - a shared WB on a network drive? Or something else? If there is but one copy on a shared drive, I would think that making sure the toolbar is not attached and then deleting it would do the trick. But you might then also have to go to each user's PC and delete it as well if Excel replicated a copy of the toolbar onto their machine. I'd be a bit reticent to blow away .xlb files unless I was certain that they did not contain custom toolbars that the user had defined for his own use - or needed for other workbooks.

Upvote 0
Greg,
Yes, it is a WB on a network drive. I un-attached the custom toolbar from mine and some other people's pcs and it is gone but we are talking 100+ PCs here so can we do it easily by blowing away the .xlb files. What impact does it cause to my PC and others' if we work with or delete the .xlb files??
Thanks for your patience and great help,

Nee

Upvote 0
Nee,

If you put "xlb" into the help search (at least on XL2002, don't know about previous versions) you will get a good description of them. I am not an expert on the subject of xlb files by any means. I've used them to transfer my custom toolbars from old to new computers & such. But if you look at the help information, I'd still be a little nervous about going that route.

I've already tried turning on the macro recorder and attaching / detaching a custom toolbar and it does not record anything, so no easy way to figure out the VB equivalent of detaching the toolbar. :cry:

(Edit) - Just looked up Commandbars in VB Help - does not look promising...

"CommandBars Property
See Also Applies To Example Specifics
Returns a CommandBars object that represents the Microsoft Excel command bars. Read-only.

Remarks
Used with the Application object, this property returns the set of built-in and custom command bars available to the application.

When a workbook is embedded in another application and activated by the user by double-clicking the workbook, using this property with a Workbook object returns the set of Microsoft Excel command bars available within the other application. At all other times, using this property with a Workbook object returns Nothing.

There is no programmatic way to return the set of command bars attached to a workbook."

(End Edit)
Once in a while I face a similar situation here, so I'll give it some thought and if I come up with any ideas, I'll post back.

Upvote 0
ntruong said:
but we are talking 100+ PCs here so can we do it easily by blowing away the .xlb files.
You'd have to do that on a PC-by-PC basis also. So, whether you fix the workbook or delete the xlb files, it would have to be on each of the 100+ PCs.
What impact does it cause to my PC and others' if we work with or delete the .xlb files??
xlb files contain customization information. Not a very good thing to do if people tend to customize their XL environment.

Can't you put the workbook without the toolbar on the network server and have the people download the new file? I would imagine it would be the cleanest approach.

Alternatively, if the file already contains code...

How do you plan to disseminate code changes? Use the same process to add code that deletes the custom toolbar.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back