vlookup for auto fill

Windsinc

Hello ALL!
Since I have learned validation thanks to the wonderful people here, I decided it was time to move up a step and automate some of my work. So here I go again. :pray:
I have a main data wksheet that has about 40 columes(fields) each with its own name, 500 rows in each colume of main data of different types like names addresses, rates etc, in a workbook.I have another wksheet in the same wkbook which is laid out as a form type (called load info) entries top to bottom in columes, where I have the data validation which pulls from the list of data on the main data sheet. I have a unique id number for each shipper, broker,receiver. truck trailer and load. Can I use v lookup or h lookup to auto fill the information on the load info sheet since I have unique id numbers?The main data sheet information changes almost daily. There are formulas in the load info sheet as well as validation.
Trish
Excel Trainee soon to be crazy :oops:

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Heya Trish!

Post a sample of your sheet(s) using Colo's HTML Maker. (You'll find the link at the bottom of the page).

With that someone can give you an actual formula solution other than just saying "Yes, what you want is doable". :wink:

Smitty

Upvote 0
Here it is I think maybe part of I hope pray for me
ld infotest1.xls
EFGHIJK
2DELIVERYINFORMATIONBILLINGINFORMATION
3UNLOADDATE3/21/04CUSOMERTYPE/IDSHIPPER
4RECEIVERIDBOSTCED02345BILLTOBROKERNAME
5RECEIVERBOSTONCEDARADDRESS5MeadowcraftPkwy
6ADDRESS4500HITSTREEETCITYSelma
7CITYHOLBROOKSTATEAL
8STATEMAZIP36701
9ZIP02343BILLDATESHIPPERNORECEIVERNORELEASENO
10PHONE781-767-38003/12/0455553533330
11FAX000-000-0000LOADTYPEFULL
12CONTACTMIKEPRODUCTRACKS
13RECEIVERNO3333LOADRATETYPEMILES
14RELEASENOSHIPPERMILES552MILES
15SHIPPERNO555535NUMBEROFDROPS2$1.50$828.00
16APPOINTMENTYESRATEPERDROP$35.00$70.00
17TIME12:30AMTARPRATE$10.00$50.00
18TARPREQYES4FOOTTOTALDETENTIONHRS4$35.00$140.00
19PRODUCTRACKSFINES$0.00$0.00
20TRKNO326PERMITS$235.00$235.00
21TRLRNO48102UNLOADINGFEE$0.00$0.00
22DRIVERJ.CORNELLTOLLS$0.00$50.00
23TRIPNO888888FUELSURCHARGE5.00%$41.40
24MISC
25MISC
26MISC
27MISC
28DRIVERGROSSPAY$326.40TOTALDUE$1,414.40
TRIP INFO

Upvote 0
Heya Trish!

Can you post the Load Information sheet as well? I can see where lookups could come in handy as a way to populate your invoice, but without the relevant info it'll be hard to point you in the right direction.

Smitty

EDIT: It looks like trip # is your unique identifier. I'd base everything off of that. Also what do you do with each invoice once you've printed it? You might also want to look into creating a User Form to make data entry even easier - But that'll be your next step in automation.

Upvote 0
Hi there everyone!
Wow it's been sometime since I have been here.
The trip number could be used as one of the unique ids but I was thinking more of a shipper/customer/broker/receiver id. That way (some day) it would auto fill the information.
This is what I was thinking
I already have a data validation drop box where you decide if it's a shipper, broker/receiver/customer, I assigned unique identities to each as I add them, no chance of duplicates, when you select which it is, then it auto fills the relevant information for that unique id.What do you think about that idea?
Trish :eek:
Dreamboat I looked at that and it would work for some things but not for what I have in mind. I did send the link to someone else that it would work perfectly for though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back