Board wish list

Hi,
I appreciate that
_1 ) Most Mods are very busy doing a great job here, all voluntary, and have more than enough to do.

_ 2) These points may have been considered before… for example:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/830361-board-wish-list.html#pos4067889
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/830361-board-wish-list-2.html#post4067946

_ 3 ) There are very good reasons for not doing changes to Forum Software, also discussed before, for example:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-...s-platform-into-21-century-2.html#post4297645

_ However, I feel that it is good never the less to “contribute” and put forward suggestions from time to time..

_ So.
RE: Code Window Line Breaks

I personally ( just IMVHO ) would prefer the Code Window, ( Available through the use of Code Tags ( via after hitting the __#__ icon after highlighting code copied into the Forum Post Editor ) ), to work as in the VB Development Window ( VB Editor Environment ). In Particular that long code lines and ‘comments written to the right, extend to the right , such that , as in the VB Editor, one must scroll to the right to see long lines.
At MrExcel carriage returns ( Line Breaks ) are automatically added. I prefer that were not the case. I prefer that comments to the right do not get put under code lines, so cluttering the Code Window. – I can then add many helpful Comments or even references to links for future reference that are not necessarily wanted to be seen constantly. ( I do not see most of them unless I chose to by scrolling to the right..
The same goes for long code lines. In VB Code Syntax I can , ( through use of the _____ ) , divide up a along code line so that it is displayed over several lines in the Window at places of my choice if I wish to do so. I find this preferable to the MrExcel code Window doing that for me at positions of it’s choice.

As I mentioned, I am aware of the reluctance to make changes, and the very good reasons already discussed for that. But I was wondering if in this case, that modification could be easy and low risk , as possibly that is the default setting?, and has been modified to give those carriage returns ( Line Breaks ).
_ As I said, just an attempt at a helpful suggestion. I would at least be interested in the reasoning behind the added Line breaks, or if it is , indeed the default option, in which case maybe “better left alone”!!

Alan

P.s. Just while I am here, maybe a quick tip that may help someone in passing…”/ posting: Most of us at some time or other have been annoyed by the Forum Editor’s characteristic of “eating” spaces, ( reducing multiple spaces you type in to a single space after posting ).A very simple, obvious with hindsight, but effective solution.
Instead of a space,
simply type any character and:
_______color it________light grey,
or even
______color it________white
Simple but very effective. ( There is also a HTML Code Tag for it, but I believe no BB Code Tag for it ? )

Last edited:
Code:
    vMatch = Application.Min(Application.Choose(Application.Power(2, Application.GeStep(Application.CountIfs(cell.offset(, -1), AccountIDRng, cell.offset(, -2), SeriesRng), 1)), 1E+100, DateRng))

I personally ( just IMVHO ) would prefer the Code Window, ( Available through the use of Code Tags ( via after hitting the __#__ icon after highlighting code copied into the Forum Post Editor ) ), to work as in the VB Development Window ( VB Editor Environment ). In Particular that long code lines and ‘comments written to the right, extend to the right , such that , as in the VB Editor, one must scroll to the right to see long lines.

Personally if I write a code line that long for some reason, I'd use the line continuation character. Then it will display here as intended.

I'd also suggest it is not good practice to comment every single line of code you write. ;)

The same goes for long code lines. In VB Code Syntax I can , ( through use of the _____ ) , divide up a along code line so that it is displayed over several lines in the Window at places of my choice if I wish to do so. I find this preferable to the MrExcel code Window doing that for me at positions of it’s choice.

TBH, I thought that's what happens now. Testing:
Code:
    vMatch = Application.Min(Application.Choose(Application.Power(2, _
                Application.GeStep(Application.CountIfs(cell.offset(, -1), _
                AccountIDRng, cell.offset(, -2), SeriesRng), 1)), 1E+100, DateRng))

P.s. Just while I am here, maybe a quick tip that may help someone in passing…”/ posting: Most of us at some time or other have been annoyed by the Forum Editor’s characteristic of “eating” spaces

Can you give an example where this would be useful?

Hi Rory,
_. Thanks for the reply

_ 1)
Personally if I write a code line that long for some reason, I'd use the line continuation character. ….
I'd also suggest it is not good practice to comment every single line of code you write. ;)…..
_ … well yes, that’s the point . It is personal preference.. BUT.. what I suggest does go at least some way in satisfying everyone’s preference. If the Window at MrExcel was like in the VB Editor, I ( Alan ) can both write and see my ‘comments, with Links to useful references, ramblings and obscenities, or WTF , … Whereas others with other “personal preferences” would usually not see them as they are effectively “Hidden” to the right. ( ..While I am here, then to help further to satisfy those preferences……
_…… _. Just an extra Tip on that one… For those with the latter preference, shg , Smity gave some Tips here:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/795476-comments-code.html#post3893448
_ …………
………)

_ ……………………………………………………..

_2 )
……
TBH, I thought that's what happens now. Testing:
Code:
    vMatch = Application.Min(Application.Choose(Application.Power(2, _
                Application.GeStep(Application.CountIfs(cell.offset(, -1), _
                AccountIDRng, cell.offset(, -2), SeriesRng), 1)), 1E+100, DateRng))
……
_ Not sure if we are talking about the same thing here. Maybe we are…What I was trying to say is that .. The Mr Excel Editor puts extra Breaks in: these are examples of what I see at MrExcel for your given Code Snippet example:

_ ..you see yours are there as well as a couple of extra ones

This is what I see in the VB Editor, in a Forum where the Code Window does not put in extra Line breaks…

_ …. So
......., I'd use the line continuation character. Then it will display here as intended.........
..That is not quite right. It will be displayed as intended with wot I suggest. At MrExcel it may be displayed differently, depending on how big a Window you have, what zoom you set in your browser, etc…

_ ….. Maybe points 1) and 2) are also saying that the bottom scroll bar is missing at Mrexcel. Whether by default or design I am not privy. If it was by design, then maybe it could be considered as a fairly “safe to do” change if changing went back to the default, if enough people were interested, but noting all the points I said before about if / when any changes should be made etc… )

_ ………………………………..

_ 3 )Re my “White or Light Grey _______space______” trick….

_ ? That sounds a bit like asking for examples of when a different length of string would be useful. I used it already in this Thread, in others to emphasize spaces
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...es-visual-basic-applications.html#post3949302
_ and I have come across others, here and elsewhere, who have found this vBulliten feature very annoying sometimes. As it is an intricate vBulliten thing I guess it would be very dangerous to play around with, hence I just suggested a simple effective way of doing it. ( But I ‘aint suggesting doing that to show better a Spreadsheet range..
This_

____ _____A_____B
____ _1__123___489
____ _2__17d___Poo

_ . is bad: Don’t do it: We do not want to copy the ______ crap to a Spreadsheet. We got the right “Tools” to do that ;) )

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah - it looks like you must have the browser window fairly narrow. It looks fine on my computer.

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll consider them carefully.

Ahh, I get it. Maybe this

---o00o---`(_)`---o00o---

would look a bit better like this

___o00o__`(_)`___o00o___

or this, maybe, or maybe not,

___o00o__`(_)`___o00o___

_ So.

I personally ( just IMVHO ) would prefer the Code Window,........., to work as in the VB Development Window ( VB Editor Environment ). In Particular that long code lines and ‘comments written to the right, extend to the right , such that , as in the VB Editor, one must scroll to the right to see long lines....................

Thanks for the change !!!!! :)

Anyone Else Noticed?

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back