Needed Features/Changes!! Please!

MilkyTech

Board Regular
I think this is a great forum, however, there are some changes I would love to see:

1. The time allotted for a login is way, way, way too short! I usually have to log back in twice just to get through my answer to a post. I think my bank has a longer login time! :confused:
  2. The time allotted to edit a post is also way too short. You should be able to edit your posts even days later. This can help people immensely who are looking through old posts trying to find an answer to their issue before posting a new thread.
  3. A certain level user ought to be able to edit someone else's post. (with moderator approval first)

In other words: be a little more like Stack :pray:

Just my two cents.

1. If you check the Remember me option it shouldn't be a problem.
2. This tends to lead to threads that make no sense when people edit their posts after they've had answers.
3. Why? Moderators can do that but why should anyone else be allowed to?

1. If I haven't navigated away from the webpage, I shouldn't need the Remember me to stay logged in longer than 1 hour or whatever its set at. I don't understand the need for such high security measures for this type of website.
2. I disagree. A mistake can me made in an answer that isn't realized till later then there may be many posts before the corrected answer is posted. More importantly, you may come up with an improvement for an answer or a clarification that can greatly benefit the "searching" user even years later.
3. Because there are many other smart people out there, besides the moderators, who can offer a great deal of assistance to the moderators and also aid in getting better answers more efficiently. I believe this would enhance the overall user experience of the site. Moderators would only need to quickly review a users edit rather than doing the edit yourselves. Even Wikipedia offers this to anyone, but I am saying a user should need to reach a certain level to be able to edit other users.

2. I disagree. A mistake can me made in an answer that isn't realized till later then there may be many posts before the corrected answer is posted. More importantly, you may come up with an improvement for an answer or a clarification that can greatly benefit the "searching" user even years later.

So just post a new reply with a short explanation.

3. Because there are many other smart people out there, besides the moderators, who can offer a great deal of assistance to the moderators and also aid in getting better answers more efficiently. I believe this would enhance the overall user experience of the site. Moderators would only need to quickly review a users edit rather than doing the edit yourselves. Even Wikipedia offers this to anyone, but I am saying a user should need to reach a certain level to be able to edit other users.

From a personal point of view I would be fuming if someone other than a Moderator made changes to a post I made. If the Moderators/Admin felt they needed assistance then I am sure they would ask individuals to help or appoint more Moderators.

What Wikipedia allows really isn't a good benchmark.

1. If I haven't navigated away from the webpage, I shouldn't need the Remember me to stay logged in longer than 1 hour or whatever its set at. I don't understand the need for such high security measures for this type of website.
Maybe so, but how hard is it to check that box once? I last marked it when I logged in possibly 8 months ago - I can't remember it's been so long. Every time I come to the forum I'm automatically logged in & can take as long as I like to respond to a question.

For example, it is only about 7 hours since you made post #3. Already, if you were to significantly edit (or remove) points 2 or 3 now, Mark's answer and mine here would either need to also be modified or may possibly make no sense at all since they include part of your post. As Mark suggested, you could instead simply make a new post stating your changed points or that you withdraw them, then the thread still makes sense.

What Wikipedia allows really isn't a good benchmark.
Perhaps not, but the StackExchange is!

Regardless, it's obvious from both of your vehement defenses of the site in its current form, that it is run by people who are the equivalent of an 80 year old Republican, completely resistant to change.

I am a user of the site and I am providing feedback about what brings down my experience. Do you think I am the only one who feels this way about these issues? Doubtful. So you just go on thinking your site is perfect and has no room for improvement. Go on not accepting any feedback from your USERS. Go on not taking any leads from sites who handle coding questions much better than yours.

MrExcel.com, you're perfect!! Thank you so much for being so so perfect!! :biggrin:

Regardless, it's obvious from both of your vehement defenses of the site in its current form, that it is run by people who are the equivalent of an 80 year old Republican, completely resistant to change.

I am a user of the site and I am providing feedback about what brings down my experience. Do you think I am the only one who feels this way about these issues? Doubtful. So you just go on thinking your site is perfect and has no room for improvement. Go on not accepting any feedback from your USERS. Go on not taking any leads from sites who handle coding questions much better than yours.

MrExcel.com, you're perfect!! Thank you so much for being so so perfect!! :biggrin:

Your comments have been noted and appropriate responses have been passed back. When you buy the site and fund its development then you are more than welcome to adjust everything to your specific taste, until then nothing you have suggested is new since I joined, (except the forum software updates, and the changes following multiple versions of excel (which frankly is what the site is about))

On the contrary, we don't make knee-jerk reactions to the passing whims of relative newcomers who have very little experience on this site. To follow your government metaphor, what kind of government would we have if Congress changed the laws every time a new lobbyist visited them?

If you took a little time to research it, you will see that we have had many, many discussions on various topics/suggestions, and even more behind the scenes that you never see. Trust me, there is very little about this site that hasn't been discussed to the nth degree, and there are usually very good reasons for why things are the way they are.

Fact is, one cannot please all the people all the time. No matter what we do, someone will take exception to something. I think the popularity of our site is a testament that we must be doing something right, at least by most people. But if you don't agree, there are certainly other options out there for your to explore.

Why do you think that? This is not run the way SE/SO (or any other forum) is, nor is it intended to be. All the forums I frequent have their own idiosyncrasies, and I personally like the fact they're all a little different.

Yes, clearly anyone who disagrees with you is a stick in the mud. If you read any of the many prior threads of this nature, you'd know why the forum is the way it is. You'd also probably understand why we sometimes sound a little annoyed to be having the same conversations repeatedly.

I am a user of the site and I am providing feedback about what brings down my experience. Do you think I am the only one who feels this way about these issues? Doubtful.

Yes, you are. And we listened. We just don't happen to agree. As to how many feel the way you do, all I can say is that we seem to have mostly happy members.

So you just go on thinking your site is perfect and has no room for improvement. Go on not accepting any feedback from your USERS.

We never said we were perfect, nor did we simply ignore you.

Go on not taking any leads from sites who handle coding questions much better than yours.

This is not a programming site. It's primarily an Excel forum, though we cover other things too, and we cover all aspects of Excel.

MrExcel.com, you're perfect!! Thank you so much for being so so perfect!!

Kind of you to say. On behalf of the team, thank you.

There you go. Still vehemently defending your site and defending your poor response to feedback.
Nearly any other company on earth, you send them feedback about their site (usually via email), and you get a return email that says "thank you so much for your feedback!". But here, no! You get a couple of jerks who just go on and on and on about how wrong you're opinions are! Now anyone else that reads this thread and has feedback will likely not post that feedback in fear of receiving this type of immature response. So now, not only have you turned me off from your site (and I've helped quite a few people here), but you've also diminished the ability for your site to improve. Good job. Pat yourselves on the back again.

Perhaps you all need to go back and read my Original post in this thread.
First Sentence: "I think this is a great forum"
Last Sentence: "Just my two cents"
You think that deserves such a defensive, immature response?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back