Sticky for Recommendations on how to get Responses to Questions

Jeffrey Mahoney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
First of all, before I ask for something new, I'll ask if it exists: Does this forum have a post that describes the best way for people to post their questions, and what they can normally expect from respondents?

A person sent me a message asking how to get responses from his post. He was afraid to bump it because of the rules. I responded with a few suggestions. I wanted to send him a link, but I couldn't find one after my cursory search.

I thought that it would be cool for Board Regulars and MVP's to help build a suggestion "Sticky" that newer members could read to help them understand what to expect from respondents, how visuals get more responses, and how to post questions that in a way that will get more interest. How to show an example of the results they want vs the results they are getting.

My idea is not to post the rules, that's already been done. I've read "complaints" from regulars in this lounge about the expectations of newer members (I'm not using "newbie" because I think that is demeaning). I would like to Phoenix those complaints into a positive general scope of items. I would like to open this thread to those that would like to add helpful suggestions. I would like people to post solutions to problems that exist. I realize that complaining about a problem is fun, in a non-productive sort of way, but I don't think that's going to create the results we need. No, I'm not asking you to sing Kum ba yah and holds hands.

If need be, I could help interpret complaints.

Please let me know what you think.

Jeff

Normal Netiquette, and following the forum guides as well established is part of it.

If people want responses they need to give the question a meaningful title, be clear about what there intentions are at the outset, (i.e. not eating as loaf of bread one slice at a time after showing the wrapper)

Its a global site that people provide their knowledge when they have free time (i.e No one is here to just service requests)

If they need a custom solution then that can be paid for

Bumping is something that shouldn't need to be done more than once a day

Labelling any post URGENT, is likely to end up being ignored (this is about learning, and not expecting the perfect solution)

Take a look at the Board Announcements forum: Board Announcements
There are Stickies that not only contain the rules, but lots of other advice and information. It covers a lot of the things you mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff

Further to what Joe has stated, if you look in particular at the 'Guidelines for Forum Use' Sticky which is included in the 'Board Announcements' area that Joe referred to and also available from the 'Board FAQ' drop-down at the top left of every page I think that would give you a pretty good link to send to somebody. Other than that, there are many other useful bits of information in the rest of the 'FAQ' available from that same top left drop-down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asp123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back