How do I type a "greater than or equal to" sign in a cell?

This is a discussion on How do I type a "greater than or equal to" sign in a cell? within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hey can someone tell me how to do this? I want to type in a cell a "greater than or ...

Hey can someone tell me how to do this? I want to type in a cell a "greater than or equal to" sign. I don't want the two separate symbols ">=" I want it to appear as a SINGLE symbol when it shows on screen or prints out. I know in MS Word this is an easy thing to do...Insert Symbol and just click on the sign, but how do you do this in Excel? I'd appreciate a prompt response, thanks!

-Paul

Open Your Character Map
    (Programs>Accessories>Character Map)

In the Subset field, choose "mathematical operators". Select the °› symbol and copy and paste to Excel

Edit: the symbol doesn't come through in html

[ This Message was edited by: lenze on 2002-06-27 07:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: lenze on 2002-06-27 07:21 ]

On 2002-06-27 07:10, paul12345 wrote:
    Hey can someone tell me how to do this? I want to type in a cell a "greater than or equal to" sign. I don't want the two separate symbols ">=" I want it to appear as a SINGLE symbol when it shows on screen or prints out. I know in MS Word this is an easy thing to do...Insert Symbol and just click on the sign, but how do you do this in Excel? I'd appreciate a prompt response, thanks!

-Paul
    Welcome to the board.

The way I find most useful is to make use of the CharMap which is a program usually buried somewhere in the Windows or WINNT directories.

Run this program it gives you the complete selection of all available characters and symbols including Webdings etc etc.

Find the one you want Copy it using the button, Goto whatever Windows application you are working on and select paste.

(note If you are using a font other than the default you will need to change to the font ie as I said above eveb Webdings)

Directory path I needed was C:WINNTSYSTEM32Charmap.exe (I think, Extensions are hidden)

Hope this helps.

Hope This Helps.
    Sean.
    Digest of Homes

WinXP, XL XP

MrExcel MVP

With font Symbol, you can insert that character with Alt 0179. You can look at this in the Character Map.
    Regards,

Juan Pablo GonzŠlez
    http://www.juanpg.com

Ok I tried that but it does not work (btw the character map is in Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools). When I paste the character into the cell, it doesn't give me that sign, instead it gives me a funky curly character that looks like a sideways heart.

On 2002-06-27 07:25, paul12345 wrote:
    Ok I tried that but it does not work (btw the character map is in Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools). When I paste the character into the cell, it doesn't give me that sign, instead it gives me a funky curly character that looks like a sideways heart.
    Take a note of the font that it shows up as in Charmap and then use the same font in Excel and it will then print successfully.

Hope This Helps.
    Sean.
    Digest of Homes

WinXP, XL XP

Thanks, that worked fine! This problem has been eluding me for 2 days now, thanks for your help!

Take a note of the font that it shows up as in Charmap and then use the same font in Excel and it will then print successfully.
    One note. If you link this cell into a Word document, the symbol WON'T show up properly in Word.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others