ActiveX component not correctly registered

Todd Bardoni

I received Error 336. I looked it up and it says:

ActiveX component not correctly registered

Does anybody know what causes this and how to fix it???

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
My first troubleshoot idea would be to see if there is a userform in the workbook, or OLE's on a sheet, and are there any controls you imported or copied into it that are not activex controls. Make a copy of your workbook, delete the userform from it (or the OLE's one at a time to isolate the culprit), save the workbook, close Excel, reopen Excel, open the workbook and see if you get that same error. Post back with what happens, because if it is not that, it might be a registry issue but I would not go into the registry unless I followed the above "less invasive" approach first.

Upvote 0
I'm still getting the same problem. i think it might be a registry problem. Do you think a system restore will correct the issue?

Upvote 0
Well, I go into the registry as infrequently as possible and never recommend it to people and never had the problem you describe.

However, I have heard of these steps having been taken that, if I am recounting them correctly (big "if" here given that it's the registry we are talking about), have worked for some people, but not all.

The first thing I would do is make sure I have a backup program on my computer like Roxio (now with Norton I think).

Then I'd reboot the computer.

Then go into Windows Explorer, Windows folder, Temp folder, and delete all files there and all files in any subfolders (there might be none).

Close Explorer and from the Start button hit Run.

Enter
"Excel.Exe /UnRegServer" (without the quotes) and hit OK.

Enter
"Excel.Exe /RegServer" (without the quotes) and hit OK.

Open Excel and create a new workbook. Go into the VBE and Insert a new userform.

In the VBE, take a look at Tools > References and there should be a reference selected for Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library.

If that is the case, then open your workbook that's been giving you the problems and see if it is OK now.

If it is not OK now, sorry, I'm out of ideas on this one.

Todd - - be very cautious with this. Maybe copy your file to an alternate junky computer to do the experiment from there. Any problems, close down the computer, and when you restart it, engage the GoBack software to return you to 10 minutes ago so you won't be any worse off than you were if you follow these instructions, which (unabashedly in disqualifiying double-talk) I am posting but not necessarily recommending.

Good luck, be interested to know how it turns out.

Upvote 0
This is certainly a strange problem, and I can't find much information on it.

A little background:

I wrote a program for this woman and all was fine. The other day she contacts me and says the program no longer runs and she's gets the error addressed above.

I *just* found out that right before the program stopped working, she had upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003.

It would appear that this upgrade caused the problem (an assumption on my part). But, it seems odd because *shouldn't* the program I wrote be backwards compatible?

Ugh, this programming stuff is for the birds...nothing but trouble.

I had a guy call me up about an hour ago complaining that my program deleted his data (seperate issue and program than the one described above.) After coutless complaints and put downs about me and my program, I had discovered the problem.......the guy had scrolled over too far and scrolled the data right off of his screen. And the REALLY funny thing is, this was the second time he did this. And the REALLY REALLY funny thing is, he still managed to blame my program for it.

I gotta find a new line of work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back