Numbers Stored As Text in VLOOKUP

rubyduby

Hi,

I've come across this problem twice this week already and have a feeling it will crop up again. Try as i might, I cant seem to get around it.

Basically I've got a VLOOKUP function that references one Text cell and looks for a matching Text cell on another sheet. Simple. Both cells are formatted as Text, so the VLOOKUP should work perfectly... but....

One of these Text cells is flagged with the 'green triangle' error check stating "Number Stored As Text". This is true - it is a 'number' but we want it stored as text so we ignore the error. Unfortunately, the cell it references is a text cell without the "Number Stored as Text" error and the VLOOKUP fails because of this.

The VLOOKUP does work if both cells have the "Number Stored as Text" error, but wont work if only one has the error - even though they are both text!

The only way to get the error flag to show up on the text cells is to double-click the cell and hit enter - but this is not practical for the hundreds / thousands of rows.

The alternative is to remove the error flag from the text cells but the only way to do this is to convert the cells to numbers, which we do not want to do. Seeing as the cells are already formatted as Text, I cannot see a way to get rid of this error and keep the cells as Text.

I hope the above makes sense - I can clarify further if need be. Any help would be appreciated - I have searched on the web but havent found anything pertaining to this particular issue.

Cheers,
Ruby

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi Ruby:

Welcome to MrExcel Board!

If there are entries that you believe are TEXT, and EXCEL thinks they are numeric, it is possible that those entries were first initially NUMERIC and were then formatted as TEXT ... following is one way to resolve this conflict ...

select all the entries that you want to ensure are considered TEXT by EXCEL, then invoke DATA|Text_to_columns, and in Step 3 of 3, in column_data_format, select the option TEXT, and click FINISH.

This should do it ... let me know how it goes.

Upvote 0
Hi rubyduby,

Welcome to Board!!

The only way to get the error flag to show up on the text cells is to double-click the cell and hit enter - but this is not practical for the hundreds / thousands of rows.

Select an empty cell
copy
select those range
go to edit > paste special > check Add > ok

HTH

Upvote 0
Fabulous! Thank you both very much.

Both methods work but i found when i use the Data|Text to columns option it converts it to text when i select General format. Anyway, it works so i am more than happy.

Once again THANK YOU!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bergy32204

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back