The Square Root Symbol

This is a discussion on The Square Root Symbol within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Is it possible to have a customised toolbar contaning the Square Root Synbol (to represent a tick) or is there ...

Default The Square Root Symbol

Is it possible to have a customised toolbar contaning the Square Root Synbol (to represent a tick) or is there a short cut to enter this symbol into a cell without having to go via Insert / Symbol ??

Cheers.

Kenny.

MrExcel MVP
    Int'l Moderator

If your systems will all have the Wingdings 2 font installed, an uppercase "P" is a check.
    Greg

Work: XL 2003, 2007 and 2010 on Windows 7
    Please use CODE tags - especially for longer excerpts of code.

excellent Greg - thanks very much.

Board Regular

if wingdings2 font isnt installed the charachter code for a tick using standard wingdings is

Code:
    =char(252)
    HTH
    Thanks Shippey

MrExcel MVP
    Int'l Moderator

...the character code for a tick using standard wingdings is =char(252)
    ~shippey
    Thanks, Shippey. I was going to mention that and forgot. FWIW, in addition to the formula, you can just hold down the ALT key and type 0252 in the numeric keypad.
    Greg

Default Re: The Square Root Symbol

Is it possible to have a customised toolbar contaning the Square Root Synbol (to represent a tick) or is there a short cut to enter this symbol into a cell without having to go via Insert / Symbol ??
    Where this is on my computer (2003 / XP) is Insert > Symbol > Symbols tab, from the Font drop-down select Vladimir Script, from the Subset drop-down select Mathematical Operators, in the "from" drop-down select Unicode hex, scroll all the way to the bottom, and that square root symbol is in the second-to-last row, third square from the right.

MrExcel MVP
    Int'l Moderator

Heya, Tom, Kenny already knew how to do it this-a-way. He was a-lookin' fer alternative ways to drop in a checkmark-lookin' critter.

How's things in SF? A balmy 8 in KC this morning (but the month-long cold snap ends this weekend - 40's or 50's by next week!)
    Greg

Hello Greg - -

I did not see that "without having to go via Insert / Symbol ??" qualifier when I wrote this in the 2 AM hour, but I did notice that the upper case P chackmark was different and more "checkmark-looking" (how apt) than the actual square root symbol so that was what drove my blind enthusiasm, thanks for your post.

Weather here in SF is cold by California standards, barely up into the high 50's this week, but it'll be sunny and high 60's this weekend just in time for the spring training reports we'll be seeing on TV until April for the Giants and A's. I empathize what many folks in the US midwest and east are dealing with, I lived through 24 years of that in upstate New York and Michigan before moving here in 1983. We have our earthquakes, fires, and mudslides, so it's pick your mother nature poison I guess, no matter where you live.

Format the cells with the Marlett font and use a lower case a to get a check mark.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others