Correct Spelling or abbreviations

kojak43

I am sent an Excel file that has a column of item numbers, description, price and an indication if the item is wanted.

I need to take those items that they want, and publish them in a graphics program. all of that is easy enough.

The problem is the descriptions have misspellings, or they are abbreviated, or there are two of the very same thing (yes, they have different item numbers so it is just an error)

However, the person that created the file does not wish to correct it. So each time I get a file, I have to correct the spelling, spell out an item or delete the duplicates.

Is there a way to do these tasks automatically? I was thinking I could create a list of misspelled words with the correct spelling next to it and then do a vlookup.
The abbreviations could be fixed in the same manner. But how about auto delete of a duplicate?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

k

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hitting F7 when on an Excel page will bring up the Spellcheck dialog box. It has autocorrect options and a CUSTOM DICTIONARY. Maybe you could use this to make your changes.
Not sure about autocorrect, it might only work when entering the text manually.

Upvote 0
Hitting F7 when on an Excel page will bring up the Spellcheck dialog box. It has autocorrect options and a CUSTOM DICTIONARY. Maybe you could use this to make your changes.
Not sure about autocorrect, it might only work when entering the text manually.

Thanks John, great idea. I tried it and it worked. Actually I used it in conjunction with vlookup and it fixed errors I missed. Way Kewel!

I also found a way to delete the duplicate references. I just loaded Excel 07 on my machine and I found that it has an auto delete for duplicates.

Little things make me soooo happy!!

k

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinneytwin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back