Use of Weeknum in SUMPRODUCT

Anthony47

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone.
I tryed using Weeknum as one of SUMPRODUCT matrixes to obtain the weekly sum of a value.
Basically the formula is
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT((WEEKNUM(A2:A100,1)=K1)*1,B2:B100)
A2:A100 contain the date and B2:B100 contain the value i need to sum up; K1 is the weeknumber whose values I am trying to sum.
But I get a #VALUE error, referred to matrix 1.
If I use Weeknum in a standard fashion (eg =WEEKNUM(TODAY())) it is of course Ok.

When I use a similar formula for monthly sums it is ok:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT((MONTHS(A2:A100)=J1)*1,B2:B100)

Does it means that WEEKNUM cannot be used in a matrix formula or am I using it in the wrong sintax?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
I believe that it is simply that you cannot use WEEKNUM within SUMPRODUCT because it is an add-in function rather than a naitive Excel function. You should be able to get around this by using a helper column with the week numbers in.

Upvote 0
Solution
WEEKNUM() cannot return an array of values, just a scalar. That's why it cannot be invoked from within a SumProduct or kindred formulas.

Upvote 0
Probably simplest to use a helper column as Lewiy suggests but as this formula is equivalent to WEEKNUM(A1,1)

=INT((A1-WEEKDAY(A1)-DATE(YEAR(A1),1,1))/7)+2

You could use that approach within SUMPRODUCT, i.e. for your example

=SUMPRODUCT((INT((A2:A100-WEEKDAY(A2:A100)-DATE(YEAR(A2:A100),1,1))/7)+2=K1)*1,B2:B100)

Upvote 0
Thank you for all the explanations and suggestions Also, BH's alternate formula is working great, so I have the choice between the helper column (that would give me the additional benefit of the autofilter) and this formula.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Hi, i tried to copy the exact formula as Barry shown above but I wanted to replace the cell ranges from different file or even just sheet in same file but I either cannot finish the formula (error pops up) or I get a #Value error... ?

=SUMPRODUCT((INT(Shee2!T1:T100-WEEKDAY(Sheet2!T1:T100)-DATE(YEAR(Sheet2!T1:T100),1,1))/7)+2=A4)*1,Sheet2!V1:V100)

Your help would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi, i tried to copy the exact formula as Barry shown above but I wanted to replace the cell ranges from different file or even just sheet in same file but I either cannot finish the formula (error pops up) or I get a #Value error... ?

=SUMPRODUCT((INT(Sheet2!T1:T100-WEEKDAY(Sheet2!T1:T100)-DATE(YEAR(Sheet2!T1:T100),1,1))/7)+2=A4)*1,Sheet2!V1:V100)

Your help would be much appreciated.
for starters, you missed a "t" however i think that produces a #ref! error

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for checking! But that's not the problem here... (I typed "Sheet" manually just here go translate it etc.)

Upvote 0
=SUMPRODUCT((INT(Shee2!T1:T100-WEEKDAY(Sheet2!T1:T100)-DATE(YEAR(Sheet2!T1:T100),1,1))/7)+2=A4)*1,Sheet2!V1:V100)

#VALUE! error could be caused by any text in Sheet2!T$1:T$100 - do you have headers in row 1? If so just start from row 2 like this:

=SUMPRODUCT((INT((Sheet2!T$2:T$100-WEEKDAY(Sheet2!T$2:T$100)-DATE(YEAR(Sheet2!T$2:T$100),1,1))/7)+2=A4)*1,Sheet2!V$2:V$100)

.....although in Excel 2007 or later excel versions you can use WEEKNUM here, like this:

=SUMPRODUCT((WEEKNUM(Sheet2!T$2:T$100+0)=A4)*1,Sheet2!V$2:V$100)

Upvote 0
Hi Barry,

Thanks a lot, you were right! the text in headers was responsible for this error.

But now I have to raise the bar a little.
As before, I need to sum values in column V for selected week numbers in T specified in =A4. But also now I need to add a condition that the sum is done only for a specific reference/material number in column C specified in =A1. The reference in A1 is a numeric ref "083015532".

=SUMPRODUCT((INT((Sheet2!T$2:T$100-WEEKDAY(Sheet2!T$2:T$100)-DATE(YEAR(Sheet2!T$2:T$100),1,1))/7)+2=A4)*1,--(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$100=A1),Sheet2!V$2:V$100)

But again Value! ... any hope for me here? would appreciate your help !!!! and next time you are in Amsterdam beer (and the rest...) is on me!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgeeaudrey

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back