Wrap text and Alt Enter

Rebam98

Board Regular
Is there any way to keep the hard returns in excel by using "Alt + Enter" AND at the same time, keep "wrap text" turned off?

For instance, click on a cell in excel and ensure wrap text is OFF. Type in a line for instance, "I was here today on this" and then hit the "alt + enter" combo then finish typing in the same cell, "sunny day."

When I do this, "wrap text" automatically turns on. And excel automatically adjusts ALL of the text so that the cell is not bigger than and fits the text.

I don't want it to do that. I actually want the text, "I was her today on this" to actually NOT wrap and just overlap into the next cell.

However, when I turn wrap text off, instead of keeping the hard "alt + enter," it puts in a little square and just turns into one single line.

Help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
I followed your protocol "For instance, click on a cell in excel and ensure wrap text is OFF. Type in a line for instance, "I was here today on this" and then hit the "alt + enter" combo then finish typing in the same cell, "sunny day."

When I do this, "wrap text" automatically turns on. And excel automatically adjusts ALL of the text so that the cell is not bigger than and fits the text. "

All I get is "sunny day" Why would you hit "Alt" + "Enter"?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was hoping Excel would not automatically wrap text the entire cell. I'd like "I was here today this" to continue to overlap into the next cell, while still keeping the "alt+enter" so that "sunny day" appeared on the next line.

However, I don't think it's possible. Thanks anyway though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back