Append data to Access - Runtime error 3270

minette

Board Regular
Hi all, I have the following code which appends 3 excel ranges to 3 different Access tables, and works perfectly in a normal Access linked table. However, when I try it on an Access Table linked to DB2, I get a runtime error 3270 "Property not found" when trying to append the data to the AGY table. Both of the other two tables works fine.

PS: I set the Access_DB and Excel_Path variables elsewhere. Also, the reason why I set oApp to visible, is so that I can enter the username and password when connecting to DB2, and this is also working correctly.

Does anyone know why this is not working for me?

Code:
Sub ACCESS_APPEND()
    Set oApp = CreateObject("Access.Application")
    oApp.Visible = True
    oApp.OpenCurrentDatabase Access_DB

DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE CRC.* FROM CRC"
    DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE MTM.* FROM MTM"
    DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE AGY.* FROM AGY"

'Does not work on this line - this table holds roughly 40000 records (with 4 fields)
    oApp.DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, 8, "AGY", Excel_Path, True, "AGY_Range"

'Works on this line - this table holds roughly 500 records (with 3 fields)
    oApp.DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, 8, "MTM", Excel_Path, True, "MTM_Range"

'Works on this line - this one holds roughly 80 records (with 5 fields)
    oApp.DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, 8, "CRC", Excel_Path, True, "CRC_Range"
    oApp.Quit
    Set db = Nothing
End Sub

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone were able to figure out why this code is not working correctly? I don't know what else to try.....

Upvote 0
Can you run exactly the same command but targeting a local table, to test? If that works, you may need to do the import that way, then run an append query to the linked table.

Upvote 0
And just to check, how is AGY_Range defined?

Upvote 0
Hi Rory - thanks for responding. I knew I could count on you to have a look.

I'm not very good on Access at all (hence why I do everything from Excel). How do you run a command to target a local table? Also, (if that does work) will I have to set up the Append Query manually in Access, or can I do it programmatically? I know once it's set up in Access I can run it from Excel programmatically.

The AGY_Range is defined in exactly the same way as the other two (CRC_Range and MTM_Range).

I'm doing a MS Excel VBA course in London in a few months time, so hopefully I'll be able to answer many of my own queries from then....:)

Upvote 0
You would need to create a table in the db with the same fields as your linked table and then run the code. Have you double-checked that the field names and types match between your workbook and the table? I assume the range includes column headers?

Upvote 0
Hi Rory - yes, all field names and types are exactly the same. Triple checked it, as that was the first thing I thought it might be. Since all three tables are similar, and two are working, could it have anything to do with having so many rows to append? I know it works when appending it to the normal linked table, but perhaps appending it to a DB2 linked table has some restrictions?

Upvote 0
It's possible - that's partly why I suggested trying it with a local table. if that doesn't work either, then there may be a row count issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back