Need help with graphing in Excel 2007.
I have the following data:
Product Price Elastic Coefficient
$5 3.000
4 1.400
3 0.714
2 0.333
1 1.000

I need the horizontal line (product price) on a line graph to run from $1 to $5 and keep the corresponding data (elastic coefficient) in its appropriate row – since the elastic coefficient is a computed vale, I cannot simple sort on the price column as that will destroy the correct coefficient.
How can I, without typing a special column for price, get the horizontal line to run from $1 to $5.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Hello Burdette,
I'm not positive I understand your question.
If you want to show the relationship of product price and elastic coefficient, you could use an x-y scatter plot (choosing a line to connect the points instead of unconnected dots), which will put 1-5 on the x-axis in order from 1 to 5, but I think you would have already done that if that was your intention.

You've said you can't sort the data, but usually if both columns are sorted together, the formulas in the sorted cells will move appropriately so that the results are still based off of the appropriate cells, and the formulas in other cells that reference those will update to refer to the new locations. Again, you must have tried it and it didn't work.

You CAN flip the order of categories in a line chart, but that will make the x-axis show 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, which I don't think is what you need.

So, can you explain a bit more what you want to accomplish?

Cindy

Upvote 0
If you want to show the relationship of product price and elastic coefficient, you could use an x-y scatter plot (choosing a line to connect the points instead of unconnected dots), which will put 1-5 on the x-axis in order from 1 to 5, but I think you would have already done that if that was your intention.

I have done it corectly with an add-in to Excell scatterplot template...but can nto connect the dots with that stoftware. When I do the scatterplot in Excel the horizonatal axis is 5 to 1.

It sounds like you know what I want...the horizonital axis runs 1 to 5.
Sorting the data will not work and the compuation for the right column involves data from more than just the same row.

Upvote 0
Hi Burdette,
You don't need an add-in to create an x-y scatter plot with the x-axis running 1 to 5, with a line connecting the points. In Excel 2000, it is as simple as highlighting both columns at the same time, selecting the Chart wizard, selecting x-y chart, and clicking the very last formatting option.
I don't have Excel 2007 at home...I'll check out the specific steps in the morning (it's Sunday night here) to give you step-by-step instructions, or possibly one of the board's real experts can give an answer sooner :)
Regards,
Cindy

Upvote 0
I tried the Excel scatterplot and when I get the data right the horizontal axis is in the wrong order....and the vertical scale is on the right side of the graph....so I need to corret those as well as bing able to connect the plots.

Thanks for your help..

BTW - I have order Bill's book on Charting and Graphing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back