Countif/Sumproduct/Sumif all returning 0

This is a discussion on Countif/Sumproduct/Sumif all returning 0 within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hello all ... this is one of those "I'm going to throw my PC out the window in a minute ...

Board Regular

Default Countif/Sumproduct/Sumif all returning 0

Hello all ... this is one of those "I'm going to throw my PC out the window in a minute if it doesn't do what I want it to" problems ... so I'm hoping I haven't missed anything too obvious.

I'm trying to count the occurences of conditions in two columns.

=COUNTIF([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$G:$G,$X$74) returns a value of 540, and =COUNTIF([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$L:$L,U76) returns a value of 2 - so that tells me that the formats etc. are working OK - but trying to combine the formula always produces a result of 0. I can confirm that there are definitely matches in the CCBUSE.xls workbook where both conditions are met in one row.

I've tried these:

{=(COUNT(IF(([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$L$2:$L$2000=U76)*([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$G$2:$G$2000=$X$74),[CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$L$2:$L$2000)))}

{=SUMPRODUCT(--([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$L$2:$L$2000=U76),--([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$G$2:$G$2000=$X$74))}

{=SUM(IF([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$L$2:$L$2000=U76,IF([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$G$2:$G$2000=$X$74,1,0)))}

Can someone please tell me what I've missed? If it makes a difference, X74 is a text field while U76 is a number field.

Thanks!!

Board Regular

Default Re: Countif/Sumproduct/Sumif all returning 0

Are you sure that there aren't any errors in the data? that could be the problem. Also, the SUMPRODUCT function shouldn't be an array function so no {}'s.

The first thing I saw is I don't think you need the curly brackets for the sumproduct version, though I could be wrong.

Board Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
    Are you sure that there aren't any errors in the data? that could be the problem. Also, the SUMPRODUCT function shouldn't be an array function so no {}'s.
    Hi Seti - what types of errors would I be looking for? I thought that by getting a correct result from the first two COUNTIF formulas that I could rule out any data errors.

Removing the {} from the SUMPRODUCT formula didn't produce the right result either.

Board Regular

Look for #VALUE or #N/A errors. COUNTIF will ignore these types of errors.

MrExcel MVP

You say you get a zero result, so that probably rules out #VALUE! or #N/A as those would give an error not zero.

Are you sure that zero isn't a legitimate result? If there are only 2 matches for U76 then the formula can only return 2 at the most. Do you have any rows where both conditions are satisfied?

Another possibility is that column L is text formatted. COUNTIF will count both text and numeric values even if the criteria is numeric, SUMPRODUCT won't. Does this give you a value other than zero?

=SUMPRODUCT(--([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$L$2:$L$2000=U76&""),--([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$G$2:$G$2000=$X$74))

Board Regular

Quote Originally Posted by barry houdini View Post
    Another possibility is that column L is text formatted. COUNTIF will count both text and numeric values even if the criteria is numeric, SUMPRODUCT won't. Does this give you a value other than zero?

=SUMPRODUCT(--([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$L$2:$L$2000=U76&""),--([CCBUSE.xls]Sheet1!$G$2:$G$2000=$X$74))
    Hooray! This formula is giving me the right results. Thanks Barry!

How did the &"" bit change the result though? Is that a formatting change?

MrExcel MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Macrobiotic Brown View Post
    How did the &"" bit change the result though? Is that a formatting change?
    Yes, concatenating the number in U76 with "" converts it to a text value. Long term it might be best to convert column L to numbers and use your original formula

To convert column L try this

Select that column and use

Data > Text to columns > Finish

Board Regular

Cool bananas - thanks again!

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others