Absolute referencing for chart source data

Redbox911

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this. I tried looking for a solution to this, but haven't been able to find one.

I have a chart that references a range of data. Let's assume A1:A5. I need to insert a row at the top with a new set of values periodically. BUT, I want the chart to continue referencing A1:A5, not A2:A6 (which happens when I insert a row). Is there a way of creating an absolute reference?

I found workarounds by creating a macro that readjusts the range, but is there a simpler and better way of doing this? I know that for cells you can use the INDIRECT function. I tried that in the source data, but it results in an error. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi Redbox911

Can you explain exactly how you've done it?

I just tried with Indirect() and had no probelm. I would, however, prefer to use Index() since it's non volatile.

I used a worksheet name referring to

=INDIRECT("Sheet1!A1:A5")

and

=INDEX(Sheet1!$A$A,1):INDEX(Sheet1!$A$A,5)

Both worked with no problem.

Upvote 0
Hi pgc,

Thanks for the reply. The way I did it was to actually open up the source data for a graph and enter =INDIRECT("Sheet1!A1:A5") in place of =Sheet1!A1:A5. I would first select the graph, go to the chart menu on top and select Source Data. I entered in the new range (=INDIRECT("Sheet1!A1:A5")) there.

I know that you can set up an range on a worksheet using Indirect to reference A1:A5, but I was wondering if there was a built in Excel feature that will allow me to "name" the range in an absolute way when I enter the range into the Source Data.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Hi

I believe that is not possible, you cannot set the source data to an expression that includes operations.

If I'm not mistaken you can only set the source data to a range (address or name), or a constant (value or name).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back