Help for Newbie, please and thank you!

dankellie

column A has 3,600 names (last, first), column B is the name of school for each name (30 schools), columns C,D,E,F and G are numbered scores for each of the names.

column I has 600 names (last, first), column J has lettered grades for different level (15 levels).

My problem: I want the names from column I compared to column A, giving me (in new columns) the 600 names with their applicable scores from columns C,D,E,F and G, sorted by column J (the letter grade).

My story...My wife is a physical eduction teacher responsible for 600 students from 30 different schools. There are 3,600 students in the test program. She has a list (converted to excel) of all 3,600 student with the appropriate scores. However, she needs the 600 names (covering the 30 schools) with their respective scores sorted by their 15 different levels. We don't need the name of the school (column B).

I laughed at myself last night as we were cutting and pasting all the different names to get them in multiple columns when it dawned on me there must be an easier way. Can anyone help us? I am new to excel so if you can be as specific as possible I would appreciate it.

Also, will we run into any problems if a student has his first name listed as Robert in one column but Rob in another with the same last name?

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Hi dankellie and welcome to the board,
If each name in column I is identical to a name in column A then you can use VLOOKUP formula to compare and bring the desired information like this:

In K2 enter: =VLOOKUP($I2,$A$2:$G$3600,COLUMN()-8,0)

Then copy by dragging the formula until O2
Then highlight K2:O2 and copy down 600 rows to the last name.

Eli

Upvote 0
WOW, worked great but ...

Is there anyway I can account for names that aren't identical? For example; some of the names in the 3,600 list contain shortened names such as Pam instead of the more formal name Pamela (which I have on my list of 600) while others include the middle initial of their name. Any way of getting around this?

Thanks,

dan & kellie

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wingedshoes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back