Is It Possible??

Nunzie23

Board Regular
Hi,

I'll just give a little background on the file I'm working with in hopes it's a little easier to understand.

I have an excel file, with three different sheets on it. On sheet one, each cell in column A would let you select a name from a drop down list and you would fill in different info in columns B on that relate to that person. there is LOADS of additional information that is added for each person. Ok...all works well no problems there.

On sheet 2 it basically summarizes the info filled in for each person and totals all the different numbers filled in on sheet one as well. There is also a column that they can write notes in.

All I really wanted to know, is there a way to get it to show the info in alphabetical order? I know that you can use the sort feature. But different people complete the forms so the sheets are locked so they can't mess up the formulas used. And when they choose the name from the drop down menu they aren't necassarily choosing them in alphabetical order. I'm not quite sure how to lock things so they cant mess anything up, yet still allow the sort function. It doesn't seem to work with the other things that aren't allowed. Also, I know I can easily unlock the sheet when I get it and use sort on sheet one, but then the comments will not match the name on the second page then.

I hope this doesnt sound too confusing. Any ideas anyone please???

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
When you unlock and sort sheet 2, you can do the sort on sheet 2 also.
If you are using VLOOKUP etc to get the summary info to sheet 2, there won't be any mess up.
What is in sheet 3? Is it also linked?
Your description, though detailed, is not easily broken down in problem solving steps (aka algorithm). Maybe a little more clarification will improve response.
:)

Upvote 0
I know I can unlock the sheet then sort, but then when you go to the sheet that it looked them up on...the comments they wrote next to it in other cells then wont match because you'ves sorted and changed the order. I have a sample of the file if you want I can email it to you. And I'm not an excel whiz so this algorithm stuff you speak of..may as well be greek to me! :)

Upvote 0
If you are sorting ALL the relevant columns including the Notes column, I don't see why things will get messed up.
Why don't you post small samples of sheet 1 & 2 on the board.

Upvote 0
I'm sorting on one sheet, which another sheet looks up, and has comments next to it. So when the people who do NOT have permission enter info, because of the permission setttings they can not sort....they enter their info and comments where appropriate, send the sheet to me. WHen I get it and sort it on the one sheet, the second sheet then has comments next to the wrong names.

I don't know how to put the sample on here..can I email it to you? It sounds far more confusing trying to explain it than it really is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back