Reverse of Text to Columns

This is a discussion on Reverse of Text to Columns within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Just wondering if there's an easy way to do the reverse of the Text to Columns function. I have a ...

Board Regular

Default Reverse of Text to Columns

Just wondering if there's an easy way to do the reverse of the Text to Columns function. I have a spreadsheet with First Name in column A, Middle Init in column B and Last Name in column C. In column D, I'd like to have First (space) Middle (space) Last. Do I need a macro to do this or is there a built-in function in Excel of which I'm unaware?

Thanks,
    Ed

Default Re: Reverse of Text to Columns

Quote Originally Posted by edzzz
    Just wondering if there's an easy way to do the reverse of the Text to Columns function. I have a spreadsheet with First Name in column A, Middle Init in column B and Last Name in column C. In column D, I'd like to have First (space) Middle (space) Last. Do I need a macro to do this or is there a built-in function in Excel of which I'm unaware?

Thanks,
    Ed

=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1

Better

=A1&IF(B1<>""," "&B1,"")&" "&C1

Board Regular

Wow, that was fast! Thanks Aladin. Worked like a charm.

Ed

what if you want to insert a comma when "reversing text to column function? for instance, if you're doing this with dates and want to make June 23 2011 => June 23, 2011 ?

GTO
    Board Regular

Are the "dates" actually being recognized as dates in the formula bar? If yes, you should be able to just change the number format of the cell.

yes, appear as is. dates. changing format to dates and numbers, but neither does the trick though.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others