Limit line on excel graph

This is a discussion on Limit line on excel graph within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hi, I have produced a bar chart in excel, and not i need to put a limit line, so i ...

Default Limit line on excel graph

Hi,

I have produced a bar chart in excel, and not i need to put a limit line, so i can clearly see if the bars are above or below the limit.

Can i do this without rebuilding the chart? and how?

Thanks

Board Regular

Default Re: Limit line on excel graph

You can do so.

Add the values for a (constant) line as a new series.

Then, right click one of the bars for the second series, and change the chart type to a Line, for instance.

Wigi
    Regards,

Wigi

Excel MVP 2011-2014

For more Excel memes: visit http://www.wimgielis.be ==> English articles ==> Excel memes

-- Topics without [CODE] tags or a meaningful topic title, will be neglected by me (and probably many others as well) --

hi thanks for that,

can i get a line that stretches across the width of the graph, instead of a small star?

Thank

Default Limit line on excel graph pt 2

i have created a limit line on my bar chart with the help of another board member, however it is just a small line, how can i stretch the line the full way across the graph?

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter_SSs; Jan 8th, 2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Combined threads

Board Regular

Default Re: Limit line on excel graph pt 2

How many values do you plot for that line? You could have that (always the same constant) value on each X axis value, just as you do for the bars.
    Regards,

Wigi

Excel MVP 2011-2014

For more Excel memes: visit http://www.wimgielis.be ==> English articles ==> Excel memes

-- Topics without [CODE] tags or a meaningful topic title, will be neglected by me (and probably many others as well) --

MrExcel MVP

Hi

To plot a straight line you just need 2 points. Define the points like (Xmin,Y) and (Xmax,Y) where Xmin and Xmax are the maximum and minimum values in the X axis and Y defines the limit value.

If you still have doubts Jon Peltier explains here how to add a horizontal line to a chart:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...orzSeries.html
    Kind regards
    PGC

To understand recursion, you must understand recursion.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others