VBA to get the module name

jjzhang

Does anyone know how to get the current module name using VBA in a sub. Thanks. -JJ

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
If you mean the module containing the code that is running, then you can't. If you mean the currently active module in the VBEditor, then:
Code:
application.VBE.ActiveCodePane.CodeModule.Name

Upvote 0
If you mean the module containing the code that is running, then you can't. If you mean the currently active module in the VBEditor, then:
Code:
application.VBE.ActiveCodePane.CodeModule.Name

Rory:

It works, I run a sub with the code you gave and it print the module name. Thanks.

By the way, what's the difference the module containing the code that is running and the currently active module in the VBEditor, if I don't run the sub in the module how I use the code to get the name. But if I run the sub, then the module becomes the module containing the code that is running. I am confused. -JJ

Upvote 0
Why do you want the module name anyway?:)

Upvote 0
You can run a sub without it's codemodule being active in the VBE. if you are hoping to use this in an error handler for example, it won't work.

Upvote 0
If you mean the module containing the code that is running, then you can't. If you mean the currently active module ...
Rory, a question - -

When I establish a reference to the MS VBA Extensibility 5.3 Library and the Excel and Office 11.0 (or your version) Object Library

and

stick this code in a module

Code:
Sub ModuleNameTest()
Run "MyMacroInfo"
End Sub

Private Sub MyMacroInfo()
Dim MacroName$, SubName$, ModArr As Variant
Dim ModName As Object, strModName$, i&, j&
MacroName = ActiveSheet.Buttons(Application.Caller).OnAction
SubName = Application.Replace(MacroName, 1, Application.Search("!", MacroName), "")
ModArr = Array(0, 1, 2, 3)
For Each ModName In ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents
For j = LBound(ModArr) To UBound(ModArr)
i = 0
On Error Resume Next
i = ModName.CodeModule.ProcStartLine(SubName, CLng(ModArr(j)))
Err.Clear
If i > 0 Then
strModName = ModName.Name
Exit For
End If
Next j
Next ModName
MsgBox _
"Full macro name:" & vbCrLf & MacroName & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
"Actual subroutine name:" & vbCrLf & SubName & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
"Module name where " & SubName & " is housed: " & vbCrLf & strModName, _
64, "Information about macro being run..."
End Sub

and

assign the ModuleNameTest to a Forms button on any worksheet

and

I insert a few other modules and make sure one of them is active other than the one I stuck the code in, by selecting some code in it or somehow making it be as "actived" as I can

and

I click the Forms button to run the ModuleNameTest macro

then

I get a message box telling me the name of the macro I ran and the module it is in.

Is this different from what you said in terms of how a module is "active".

Upvote 0
Tom,
By 'active module', I meant the one that is active in the VBE, not (necessarily) the one in which any current code is running. Your code works to get the module in which the code is running, as long it is called form a control. Otherwise you would have to hardcode the procedure name, in which case you might as well add the module name. :)
I was assuming that this was the age old question of an easy way to log errors and which module/routine they occurred in.

Upvote 0
Just wondering if this has been fixed in 2010, I have multi users on different sites that use a excel workbooks. On open I want to check if its the current version of the workbook [userform, module etc] or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wabd

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back