Can't Unhide columns - What the ???

TAPS_MikeDion

Office Version
  1. 2011
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi all,
Has anyone ever run into this? I was working with Excel 2007 at home and hid all columns to the right of the last column in every sheet. Now that I'm at work using Excel 2003, the last visible column in each sheet has no border lines for each cell, which for whatever reason Excel won't allow me to change, and I cannot Unhide the hidden columns! :eek:

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Check if you have Freeze Panes enabled, and unfreeze it.

There is a ghost of a chance that it might be that the column width is 0.17 which makes the column look hidden when really it is visible and narrow. Try autofitting all columns or setting the column width for all columns to 10 if freeze panes is not the answer.

Upvote 0
Hi Tom,
Thanks for trying, but Freeze Panes was not checked and the column width idea didn't work either.

-Mike

Upvote 0
See if the panes are split or the scroll area is limited.

Activate the worksheet where this is happening.

From your worksheet press Alt+F11 (careful, that's ALT + F11).
Then press Ctrl+G

Paste or type in
ActiveWindow.SplitColumn = 0: cells.Columns.hidden = false: ActiveSheet.ScrollArea = ""
and hit the enter key.

Press Alt+Q and see if that fixed what's ailing the sheet.

Upvote 0
I'll try that when I get to work tonight, thanks.

Funny thing though, I worked on it at work and saved it with 2003, and then got home and opened it with 2007 and everything is fine. I'm wondering if it's an 03/07 glitch.

Upvote 0
Check if you have Freeze Panes enabled, and unfreeze it.

There is a ghost of a chance that it might be that the column width is 0.17 which makes the column look hidden when really it is visible and narrow. Try autofitting all columns or setting the column width for all columns to 10 if freeze panes is not the answer.

TY

Upvote 0
Hi Tom,

Sorry, I realize this is an old post, but, I just ran into exactly the same problem as Mike, the only difference is I'm using a 2003/2010 Excel combo. Has this been resolved, as I didn't see any feedback from Mike?

Regards,

Dave

Upvote 0
Hmmmm...More often than not, an absence of followup means the original poster has found the solution. People tend more to write when they have a problem than when they have a fix. So I assume this has been resolved, especially after another poster came forward with a Thank You. In your case, I wonder what a 2003/2010 Excel combo is, and if you have tried all the possible approaches for a fix that were suggested in this thread. Please post back with what you are seeing exactly, and what you have tried, and we can take it from there.

Upvote 0
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

So I assume this has been resolved, especially after another poster came forward with a Thank You.
Oh, that explains "TY"!

I have a workbook that runs a macro to hide/unhide selected columns, then saves & closes the workbook. This works well in 2010, yet if I open the same workbook with 2003, the columns will not unhide, programatically or manually. I can increase the width (which was 0), and make them visible that way, which suggests that 2003 isn't recognizing that the columns are hidden. And yet when I switch back to 2010, everything works fine.

And I have ruled out split window/scroll area as suggested in this thread. I'll do some more experimenting, and let you know if I come up with anything.

regards,

Dave

Upvote 0
Dave
It may also be the code itself, and it's compatiblity with 03/10...just a thought !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back