SUMPRODUCT and circular reference help!

khadert

Hi,

This is driving me crazy and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out.

I want to sum the values in column M where the corresponding value in column F = 6 and the value in column E = E33. The formula I have come up with is below:

=SUMPRODUCT(($F$1:F5000=6)*($E$1:E5000=E30),$M$1:M5000)

However since I want the answer pasted in column M, this gives me a circular reference. Note that I want the answer to be copied into cell M30 and that F30 in is not equal to 6.

To avoid this I tried the formula

=SUM(SUMPRODUCT(($E$1:E29=E30)*($F$1:F29=6),$M$1:M29),SUMPRODUCT((E31:$E$5000=E30)*(F31:$F$5000=6),M31:$M$5000))

This works but the problem is if I try to paste it into another cell in column M, say M45 (again the value of F45 is not equal to 6) I get a circular reference problem again (between cells M45 and M30).

Is there a way I can resolve this? i.e. i need excel to only run the sum product on the cells within column M where the sumproduct conditions have been met and ignore the others thereby avoiding a circular reference.

I hope that makes sense!

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Sorry I forgot to add that I am using a work computer and our administrators have protected the "preferences" tabs so I dont have the option of simply allowing the circular references. I therefore need to modify the equation somehow (or potentially write a simple macro though this is not my preferred option).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webarnes99

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back