How to fix/eliminate MINOR LOSS OF FIDELITY errors?

exceltm

I get an error when trying to save, "Minor loss of fidelity" in Excel 2007 spreadsheet. How do I eliminate this warning everytime I save the file? I recently upgraded from 2003 to 2007 and now get this error. Some files have 18 "number of occurrences" under this warning.

"Some cells or styles in this workbook contain formatting that is not supported by the selected file format. These formats will be converted to the closest format available."

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
I think it is because you are using Excel 2007, and saving the files with an ".xls" extension, which is Excel 2003 and before. So some of the options you see in 2007 and not available in 2003 and before.

If you save the file with a ".xlsx" extension, I believe you will not get that message.

Upvote 0
Now getting this, in an endless loop...

Errors were detected while saving MYFILE.XLXS. MS Office Excel may be able to save the file by removing or repairing some features. To make the repairs in a new file, click Continue. To cancel saving the file, click Cancel.

Then I save as a new file name and get

Errors were detected in MYNEWFILE.XLXS, but MS Office Exceo was able to save the file by removing or reparing the features listed below.
Invalid hyperlinks were found and have been removed.
Click to view log file listing repairs: C:/users/etc/error069600 01.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
- http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
<LOGFILENAME>error069600_01.xml</LOGFILENAME>
<SUMMARY>Errors were detected in file 'C:\myfiles\MYNEWFILE.xlsx'</SUMMARY>
- <ADDITIONALINFO>
<INFO>Invalid hyperlinks were found and have been removed.</INFO>
</ADDITIONALINFO>
</RECOVERYLOG>

If the invalid hyperlinks WERE REMOVED, why do I continually get this error every time I save the file? I search MrExcel and help inside Excel and could find no solution.
</RECOVERYLOG>

Upvote 0
What happens if you manually correct or remove the hyperlinks, then save the file?

Upvote 0
The "loss of fidelity" is likely the result of different color definitions used between the two versions. If you want to save the workbook in the older format, you need to use only colors that are defined in the older versions of Excel. To see these, click on the Office button, pick Excel Options from the bottom of the frame, and go to the Save tab. Click on the Colors... button, and you'll see the palate available for the older versions. You can see the RGB values for colors in the palate by choosing one, clicking the Modify... button, and then going to the Custom tab. To avoid the annoying "loss of fidelity" message, you have to use colors with exactly the same RGB values for the colors in that palate. Check fonts, fills, and lines on all sheets in the workbook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
JohnEfromNJ,

How do I find which cells are not in conformity with Excel 2007? I have the same error message and I am trying to determine which cells within the workbook I need to address.

Thanks

JPHuff

Upvote 0
Now getting this, in an endless loop...

Errors were detected while saving MYFILE.XLXS. MS Office Excel may be able to save the file by removing or repairing some features. To make the repairs in a new file, click Continue. To cancel saving the file, click Cancel.

Then I save as a new file name and get

Errors were detected in MYNEWFILE.XLXS, but MS Office Exceo was able to save the file by removing or reparing the features listed below.
Click to view log file listing repairs: C:/users/etc/error069600 01.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
- http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
<LOGFILENAME>error069600_01.xml</LOGFILENAME>
<SUMMARY>Errors were detected in file 'C:\myfiles\MYNEWFILE.xlsx'</SUMMARY>
- <ADDITIONALINFO>
</ADDITIONALINFO>
</RECOVERYLOG>

If the invalid hyperlinks WERE REMOVED, why do I continually get this error every time I save the file? I search MrExcel and help inside Excel and could find no solution.
</RECOVERYLOG>

Well, one problem may be that you saved the file with an .xlxs extension instead of an .xlsx extension (according to the quoted post).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmjmjmjmjmjm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back