Personal.xlsx worksheet problem

This is a discussion on Personal.xlsx worksheet problem within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hello fellow Excel users - here is my problem. I am trying to store my macros to the Personal.xlsx file ...

Board Regular

Default Personal.xlsx worksheet problem

Hello fellow Excel users -

here is my problem. I am trying to store my macros to the Personal.xlsx file so that I can use them whenever I want, regardless of the workbook I'm using. I had to create the Personal.xlsx workbook since there wasn't one stored to my computer already, and I stored it to the following path:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART\Personal.xlsx

Now, I hid the Personal.xlsx worksheet so that it would operate in the background and wouldn't appear whenever I opened Excel. However, when I open Excel now, the grid area is blank and no worksheet opens automatically. I have to manually create a new worksheet each time I open Excel which is annoying.

I've never had any problems with hiding the Personal.xls worksheet in Excel 2003 and opening Excel afterward.

Also, one forum I visited suggested running the excel.exe /unregserver in the Start menu and then running excel.exe /regserver and I tried that but it didn't solve the problem.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Personal.xlsx worksheet problem

Try this:

Open the Personal.xlsx workbook, unhide it and save it as Personal.xlsm format (Excel Macro-Enabled workbook) and hide it.
    Then go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART\ and delete the Personal.xlsx file.

Im not sure that you are using the right path for a Personal macro workbook, I use this path

C:\Users\Paul\Application Data\Microsoft\XLStart

HTH

Regards

Paul

Board Regular

Quote Originally Posted by pboltonchina View Post
    Try this:

Open the Personal.xlsx workbook, unhide it and save it as Personal.xlsm format (Excel Macro-Enabled workbook) and hide it.
    Then go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART\ and delete the Personal.xlsx file.

Im not sure that you are using the right path for a Personal macro workbook, I use this path

C:\Users\Paul\Application Data\Microsoft\XLStart

HTH

Regards

Paul
    Paul - thanks for taking a stab at this.

I did as you suggested and created the Macro-Enabled workbook (.xlsm format), hid it, and then deleted the .xlsx version so now I have only the Personal.xlsm file under the \XLSTART file path. You were right, the path name I was using was different from where it should have been. I verified that by testing the path name in the VBE under the Immediate section (using this command: ?Application.StartupPath).

Anyway, it's incredibly frustrating because that did not solve the problem and your solution seemed like it would be just a simple fix. Still, when I open Excel it opens blank.

Any other ideas, Paul? Thanks, man.

The only other thing I can suggest is to put the filepath in the Excel Options under Advanced / Open files in this folder when Excel starts.

Regards

Paul

Board Regular

Quote Originally Posted by pboltonchina View Post
    The only other thing I can suggest is to put the filepath in the Excel Options under Advanced / Open files in this folder when Excel starts.

Regards

Paul
    Paul - I'm not sure I follow your instructions above. Can you elaborate a little more? If I go to Excel Options -- Advanced -- I don't see where the filepath would be assigned.

Board Regular

Quote Originally Posted by jakeman View Post
    Paul - I'm not sure I follow your instructions above. Can you elaborate a little more? If I go to Excel Options -- Advanced -- I don't see where the filepath would be assigned.
    Paul - never mind...I figured it out. It wasn't the path it was the file type extension. Actually, what I need to do was save Excel as Microsoft Office Excel Binary Worksheet (.xlsb). When I created the Personal.xlsb file and hid the worksheet, I could go into Excel now and a new worksheet would open up this time.

Thanks for your help willingness to help, though.

Cheers.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others