Get worksheet names from closed workbook

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
If the workbook does not need to stay closed, this would work (modify for path, workbook name, and ThisWorkbook sheet name):

Sub Test1()
Workbooks.Open FileName:="C:\Your\File\Path\Book1.xls"
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim i As Integer
With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1")
.Range("A:A").ClearContents
For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
i = i + 1
.Range("A" & i) = ws.Name
Next ws
End With
Workbooks("Book1").Close False
End Sub

Also a trick from Harlan Grove, enter the formula
'='C:\Your\File\Path\[Book1.xls]_'!A1
to see a placeholder list of sheet names

Upvote 0
Thanks Tom...unfortunately, I can't open the workbook, so I need to extract the data from all the worksheets of this workbook to a new workbook. I have VB code to do this, but it requires that I know the worksheet names, hence, I need to retrieve all worksheet names from the book that I can't open. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
The following is a modification from the following post:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U3C856C54

It returns a collection, not an array, due to the option of "repeated" names when there is a print area setup.

I tried using the GET.WORKBOOK(1, ...) XLM macro as well, but a) doesn't work well in VBA, and b) doesn't work with closed workbooks.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Explicit</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Function</SPAN> GetSheetsNames(WBName <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">String</SPAN>) <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Collection
    <SPAN style="color:green">'Needs a reference to:</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:green">'Microsoft ActiveX Data Object X.X Library</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:green">'Microsoft ADO Ext. X.X for DLL and Security</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> objConn <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> ADODB.Connection
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> objCat <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> ADOX.Catalog
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> tbl <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> ADOX.Table
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> sConnString <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">String</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> sSheet <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">String</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> Col <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">New</SPAN> Collection

sConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
                  "Data Source=" & WBName & ";" & _
                  "Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;"

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> objConn = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">New</SPAN> ADODB.Connection
    objConn.<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Open</SPAN> sConnString
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> objCat = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">New</SPAN> ADOX.Catalog
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> objCat.ActiveConnection = objConn

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Each</SPAN> tbl <SPAN style="color:darkblue">In</SPAN> objCat.Tables
        sSheet = tbl.Name
        sSheet = Application.Substitute(sSheet, "'", "")
        sSheet = Left(sSheet, InStr(1, sSheet, "$", 1) - 1)
        <SPAN style="color:darkblue">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Next</SPAN>
        Col.Add sSheet, sSheet
        <SPAN style="color:darkblue">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">GoTo</SPAN> 0
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Next</SPAN> tbl
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> GetSheetsNames = Col
    objConn.<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Close</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> objCat = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> objConn = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Function</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> Test()
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> Col <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Collection, Book <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">String</SPAN>, i <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>
    Book = "C:\Your path\Your file.xls"
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> Col = GetSheetsNames(Book)
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> Col.Count
        MsgBox Col(i)
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Next</SPAN> i
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
Hi All...
10 years latter! Here is another solution, much more simple, for closed Workbooks.

Function GetSheetsNames(file)
Set sh = GetObject(file).Worksheets
For Each c In sh
Debug.Print c.Name
Next
End Function

Sub Teste()
file = "C:\Your path\Your file.xls"
GetSheetsNames (file)
End Sub

Upvote 0
I am using Excel 2010. When I execute the code, the compiler selects the line 'Dim objConn As ADODB.Connection' and provides a 'User Defined Type Not Defined' error. Can anyone help?

Upvote 0
go into the VBE and on the menu bar Tools>References and set a reference to Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Library (the latest version you have). The code should then work.

Upvote 0
I hope this can be considered as "building on the thread" rather than hijacking it. If I'm out of order, let me know and I'll start a new thread. TIA.

I'm trying to use this code with an .xlsm file in Excel 2007.

However, I get a "Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)': External table is not in the expected format."

If I try changing "Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;" to "Extended Properties=Excel 12.0;", I get a "Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)': Could not find installable ISAM."

I have references to
Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 6.1 Library and
Microsoft ADO Ext. 6.0 for DDL and Security

If I save the .xlsm file as an .xls file, the code will work. I'm hoping this is something simple as, otherwise, it's just what I'm looking for.

Regards, TMS

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back