Print to PDF Macro using Custom File and Folder Name

justanotheruser

Board Regular
Hi all,

I've been reading around on the website, and all the threads that I have found have been very useful, but it seems that no-one has asked how to create a macro that allows a custom PDF file name from a cell and a customer folder name, from another cell.

I'm running Excel 2010 on Windows 7 and have two options for my printing.

a) Use CutePDF writer as a printer to save as a PDF (although from what I've read, its not easy to insert a file name there).

b) Use the in-built save as PDF now in Office 2007/Office 2010 to try this.

From what I can tell (I'm new to VBA, so I might be wrong) it maybe easier to use the latter option for my problem.

Basically, the reason that I need a custom folder name is because the sheet I am saving to PDF needs to be put in a folder according to the month it was created in. The code I have tried so far is:

Code:
Sub Make_PDF()
' Create and save .pdf
Dim pdfName As String
pdfName = Range("B7").Text
FolderName = Range("H17").Text
ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, FileName:="D:\Invoices\" + FolderName + pdfName + ".pdf" _
, Quality:=xlQualityMedium, IncludeDocProperties:=False, _
IgnorePrintAreas:=False, OpenAfterPublish:=True
End Sub
Cell B7 is an alpha-numeric code such as C0156-6302K, which seems to work fine.

Cell H17 contains the formula =NOW() which has been custom formatted to "mmm yy" - so that currently it shows "Aug 10". I have two problems:

1. When I save it currently, the file saves in D:\Invoices\ under the file name: "Aug 10C0156-6302K.pdf" as an example.
    • I would like it to be saved under D:\Invoices\Aug 10\ under the name "C0156-6302K.pdf".
  2. Also, if possible I would like the user to be able to see a confirmation screen (the prompt window) so that they can confirm the file save location.
The second option isn't a must, but if its possible I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for your help! :)

OK, fixed that - using the code I just posted, how would I make this a separate macro, I tried and get a 1004 runtime error - unable to set the text property of the Characters class.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Code like this should work

Code:
Sub CopyText()
Sheets("Sheet2").Shapes("TextBox 2").TextFrame.Characters.Text = Sheets("Sheet1").Shapes("TextBox 1").TextFrame.Characters.Text
Sheets("Sheet4").Shapes("TextBox 2").TextFrame.Characters.Text = Sheets("Sheet3").Shapes("TextBox 1").TextFrame.Characters.Text
End Sub

Upvote 0
Where are you putting the code. It has to go in a regular module not a sheet code module.

Upvote 0
I went to Insert - Module and pasted the code you gave, and that's where I got the message - it's in a new module called Module 2, whereas Module 1 has the other macro.

Upvote 0
I don't know why you are getting an error. I tested the code that I originally posted for copying the text box text as a stand alone macro and it worked without error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back