Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adding digits of a number

This is a discussion on Adding digits of a number within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hello: I am looking for a formula or function that will add together the separate digits from a number. Example ...

Default Adding digits of a number

Hello:

I am looking for a formula or function that will add together the separate digits from a number. Example $156,546.00 would add in another cell as 1+5+6+5+4+6+0+0 the result being 27. Does such a function or formula exist.

Thank you,

Orlando

MrExcel MVP

Default Re: Adding digits of a number

******** ******************** ************************************************************************>
    Microsoft Excel - Book1___Running: xl2002 XP : OS = Windows Windows 2000
    (F)ile (E)dit (V)iew (I)nsert (O)ptions (T)ools (D)ata (W)indow (H)elp (A)bout
    =

A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    $156,546.00**27***
    Sheet3*

[HtmlMaker 2.32] To see the formula in the cells just click on the cells hyperlink or click the Name box
    PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS TABLE IMAGE ON SAME PAGE! OTHEWISE, ERROR OF JavaScript OCCUR.

Note: This is an array formula which must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, { }, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula. For more on array formulas see the Excel Help topic for "About array formulas and how to enter them".

One way...

=SUMPRODUCT((MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1,".",""),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,".","")))),1)+0))

You could also create a User Defined Function in VBA:

Code:
    Function AddDigits(NumberString As String) As Integer

AddDigits = 0
      For i = 1 To Len(NumberString)
        CurDigit = Mid(NumberString, i, 1)
        If IsNumeric(CurDigit) Then AddDigits = AddDigits + CurDigit
      Next i

End Function
    Paste this code in the VBE and then use the function =AddDigits(A1).

Hope this helps!

Aladin and Mark have already suggested solutions that work with numbers. However, if the $ is part of the cell content (i.e., not part of the formatting), consider using:

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(0+MID(H11,ROW(INDIRECT("a1:a"&LEN(H11))),1)),0+MID(H11,ROW(INDIRECT("a1:a"&LEN(H11))),1),0))

where H11 contains the text of interest.

MrExcel MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tusharm
    ...However, if the $ is part of the cell content (i.e., not part of the formatting)...
    Due to coercion...

{=SUM(MID(A1*1000,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1*1000))),1)+0)}

...works for...

{=SUM(MID("$15,6546.00"*1000,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN("$15,6546.00"*1000))),1)+0)}

...too.

IML
    MrExcel MVP

I think Marks would be okay due to the multiplilication (albeit for a different reason - I'm assuming to capture digits after the decimal??). And Aladin's would work as well by modifying H11 to H11+0. Your's would work in a case the case of say 123,456USD where Mark's and Aladin's would fail, though.

Thank you very much guys.

Orlando

Board Regular

Better late than never, so here's an improvement, if you will, on Mark W.'s array formula in that it avoids the use of the INDIRECT function:

=SUM(MID(A1*1000,ROW(A1:INDEX(A:A,LEN(A1*1000))),1)+0)

It's also similar to one of J. Walkenbach's formulas ("Microsoft Excel 2000 Bible", pg. 470), although he uses the OFFSET rather than the INDEX function, and the VALUE function rather than numeric coercion. Because of this, his is a longer construction.

Finally, this formula will work if "$" is part of the cell content, and not just the result of formatting.

--Tom

Quote Originally Posted by rrdonutz
    Better late than never, so here's an improvement, if you will, on Mark W.'s array formula in that it avoids the use of the INDIRECT function:

=SUM(MID(A1*1000,ROW(A1:INDEX(A:A,LEN(A1*1000))),1)+0)

It's also similar to one of J. Walkenbach's formulas ("Microsoft Excel 2000 Bible", pg. 470), although he uses the OFFSET rather than the INDEX function, and the VALUE function rather than numeric coercion. Because of this, his is a longer construction.

Finally, this formula will work if "$" is part of the cell content, and not just the result of formatting.

--Tom
    Tom,

That construct for replacing INDIRECT falls apart when a row is inserted before the formula cell. You need...

{=SUM(MID(A2*1000,ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,LEN(A2*1000))),1)+0)}

This is similar to the throuble one runs into when using ROW(1:1) as a counter/indexer.

By the way, SUBSTITUTE(A1,".","") is better than using a fixed multiplier like 1000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others