Excel 2007 - Creating Color Text Using a Drop Down Menu / Macro...

This is a discussion on Excel 2007 - Creating Color Text Using a Drop Down Menu / Macro... within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hello Everyone, I am using a spreadsheet to issue a pass or fail result for test I perform on hoses. ...

Board Regular

Default Excel 2007 - Creating Color Text Using a Drop Down Menu / Macro...

Hello Everyone,

I am using a spreadsheet to issue a pass or fail result for test I perform on hoses. I select Pass or Fail from a standard name defined list but I want the Pass to be the color Green and Fail to be in Red. Simply coloring the name defined cells accordingly as you know does not work as I found out...

I use a macro to save the file, print out the report, drop the data into the database and clear the required cell contents ready for the next test info.

If I can incorporate a formula in the macro to change the color accordingly I would be very happy.

Thank you in advance for your assistance...

Default Re: Excel 2007 - Creating Color Text Using a Drop Down Menu / Macro...

you can use Conditional Format to accomplish that

Cell Value Is Equal To = "GREEN" and set the colour you want
    Yes I know there are better ways to do it. I just wish I knew them.

I wear my ignorance openly, excel is not my chosen career, its a means to an ends

Want to post well laid out questions and answers
    Settings > General Settings (on the left) scroll to the bottom, > Miscellaneous Options > Use ENHANCED

Board Regular

Hello Mole999,

I have already looked into conditional formatting and I am not sure how to apply a formula to suit my needs...

Could you explain it to me ?

MrExcel MVP

In Conditiona Formatting select 'New Rule' then 'Use a formula to determine which cells to format'. Enter a formula like:

=A1="Pass"

and choose a green fill format. Repeat the process with the formula:

=A1="Fail"

and choose a red fill format.

Note that the formula assumes A1 is active when it is entered. Adjust the reference to suit.
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

Board Regular

Thanks Andrew, too easy...

I thought I had to do a usual if statement and it wasn't working...

Thanks again for your assistance

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others