Mysterious Wrong Data Type Error

tlambert

I am using the SUMIF function to total up some vehcile types SUMIF(vehicletypes,A1,Range).

The criteria in A1 is text. I have six different vehicle types that I sum up. The formula works with four of the vehicle types just fine but with two of them it returns the "wrong data type" error.

the six vehicle types are: Minivan, Minibus, Transit Bus, Wheelchair Van, ADA Minibus, and ADA Bus. The error is returned whenever I use Transit Bus and ADA Minibus.

I can do a work around and simply change the name but I want to understand and fix the problem. Does anyone have any thoughts?

<table width="146" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 110pt;" width="146"> <tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 12.75pt; width: 110pt;" width="146" height="17">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">
</td></tr><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"><td class="xl65" style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
The only thing I can think of is make sure all of the cells in your range are set to general formatting. I did the formula in a blank workbook just to be sure and it worked fine with all of the cells set to the default general formatting.

Hank

Upvote 0
All cells are set to General. More specifically, a #VALUE! appears in the cell where my formula is. The strange thing is it only appears when "Transit Bus" or "ADA Bus" is typed into the reference cell. It works fine even if I type in "Lady Gaga".

Upvote 0
It is likely that one or more of the cells in "Range" contains the #Value! error.

Particluarly one that has Transit Bus and/or ADA Minibus in the corresponding Vehichle Types Row.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donna_koenig

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back