Command Buttons DISAPPEAR in excel 2010

Foo_Man_Chu

Board Regular
Hi All,

I'm using excel 2010. I have a spreadsheet with a row that is hidden. One cell in this row contains a button. I have a macro that copies this hidden row, inserts it at another point on the spreadsheet and unhides it. It works great in excel 2007, but the button on the hidden row disappears when I close the sheet and re-open it. Does anyone have any idea what's going on or how to fix this?
Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I suspect it's a bug. I've seen a few similar reports with 2010 and controls on spreadsheets (it has been brought to the product group's attention). Is it ActiveX or a Forms control? (2010 seems to be worst with ActiveX)

Upvote 0
I suspect they'll charge you to investigate it. It has been filed as a bug by an MVP - no idea whether it will be fixed in SP1 or not, so I suggest you wait and see.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I am encountering the same problem with disappearing command buttons in Excel 2010. I am using ActiveX controls, and switching them the From controls did not fix the problem? Does anyone know if there has been any resolution to this issue from Microsoft? If not would moving the Excel 2007 solve the problem.
Thanks

Michael

Upvote 0
Hi,
This thread is more than two years old. My company recently upgraded to Office 2010 and now the same happens! (And that is not the only new problem of office 2010!)
In other words

Microsoft doesn't care for known bugs for more than two years!

Strange enough the buttons still exist as shape of type msoOLEControlObject, the shape says it is visible, but it is not.
Seems I need to delete and recreate the buttons. Just didn't see so far a method to programmatically detect the issue.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Hi again,
I've found some kind of fix: the disappearing buttons are located on rows, which I hide under certain conditions and they are set to "Move and size with cell", as they shall disappear if these rows get hidden. When unhiding the width of the buttons is unchange, but the height is set to 0. Before resetting the height in addition the 'LockAspectRatio' of the shapes must be set to false. Compared to Office 2003 still not very satisfying, but at least now it works again in my application.

Upvote 0
I know this is a very old thread but I just upgraded to excel 2010 and discovered this same issue. I have a very large spreadsheet with many command buttons (forms) that are hidden under circomstances). When I hide them, save the document andthen unhide them, they don't come back to the correct position or height (height of 0). Same as everyone is describing. Worked fine with 2007 - not so much with 2010. I don't really want to write code to move/size the buttons where they were. Does anyone have anything new on this?

Upvote 0
I know I'm reacting to a very old thread indeed but encountered the same problem.
When I hide rows with command buttons in them, they seem to have disappeared when reopening the workbook.
The buttons are there, the size (height) has either gone to zero (0) or the buttons are stacked on eachother.
It only happens when you save with the cells hidden where the buttons are.
So this is the (quite obvious) workaround to it, which you might want to try:
(1) create a small subroutine that unhides the rows
(2) make a BeforeClose event on workbook level
(3) call the unhide Sub in the BeforeClose
As a consequence, the workbook will allways open with the rows unhidden. Might this ennoy you, you could also consider a reverse procedure for that: make a hide Sub and call it in a (on) Open event.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back