VLOOKUP to an external workbook

trillicomm

Board Regular
VLOOOKUP work fine if everything is in the same workbook. But I can't make a VLOOKUP to look into another workbook. I need your help to point out what the steps are to make VLOOKUP work among multiple workbooks. Please allow me to explain if this does not clarify the problem.

Waiting to hear from anyone!

T.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
You can do it if the other workbook is open or closed, but it's easier if it's open.

Start your Vlookup, then ALT+W to locate & activate your other workbook, select your Source Table range & Column count, then enter.

You should get something like this:

=VLOOKUP(A1,'[The Other Workbook.xls]Sheet Name'!$C$12,1,FALSE)

Note that when doing this, Excel will automatically make the Source Table range absolute.

HTH,

Smitty

Upvote 0
Aladin Akyurek said:
An example:

=VLOOKUP("a",'C:\Aladin\Misc\TestDir\[2001 TestWB.xls]Data'!$B$2:$E$4,3,0)

Thanks! That works assuming I have a valid table array.

It does not work for me because my table array does not have the valid cell format somehow. Therefore VLOOKUP returns with a N/A. I found out that I have to hit F2 and Enter to each cell in the table array to "validate" in order for the VLOOKUP to return the value. But I have a 27000 rows in the table array and the table is a query from MS Access database. I think whatever Access transfers Excel causes the cell format unrecognized by VLOOKUP. The manual solution is to hit F2 and Enter like I said above or create a macro to validate the enter 27000 rows. I even think when Access transfers UNICODE during the query and that may be the root cause. Any idea why F2 and Enter makes VLOOKUP to work?

Upvote 0
It's due to Format changes. I have the same problem when I pull data out of our AS400 system.

Format your column the way that you want it, insert a column next to it then Data-->Text to Columns & target range the new column. Your column should now have been effectively "F2'd".

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0
If you don't want to take the time to format ur column, using pennysaver's example with a slight edit, should pull in the result, without having to format.

=VLOOKUP(text(A1,0),'[The Other Workbook.xls]Sheet Name'!$C$12,1,FALSE)

Upvote 0
Cam said:
If you don't want to take the time to format ur column, using pennysaver's example with a slight edit, should pull in the result, without having to format.

=VLOOKUP(text(A1,0),'[The Other Workbook.xls]Sheet Name'!$C$12,1,FALSE)

Shorter, might even be faster...

=VLOOKUP(A1&"",...)

should be last to resort to though.

Upvote 0
Just when I thought I had it nailed down, the guru of guru's steps in to show me the light. Nice tip Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back