Environ("username") - compile error Excel 2010

MerkDog

Hi,

The following code used to work fine for me in Excel 2003:

Code:
MsgBox Environ("username")

In 2010, I get a compile error: "cannot find project or library". I get the same error on trying to use the Chr function, which makes me think it must be something obvious...but I can't figure it out.

Thanks
MerkDog

Excel 2010, Windows XP

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Thank you very much Peter, all sorted now.

All the essential references from Chip Pearson's page were present, but there was a missing reference to Microsoft Calendar Control 11.0.

Restoring this reference (copying the file from a colleague - maybe not the ideal solution) fixed the problem.

Thanks again,
MerkDog

Upvote 0
How is that line of code causing that "missing reference" error ? !!

Upvote 0
It's the other way round. The missing reference causes the problem when the compiler tries to work out where the functions (like Chr) are located. If you specifically use VBA.Chr then the reference is not a problem (Until you try and refer to the Calendar control of course)

Upvote 0
How is that line of code causing that "missing reference" error ? !!

It isn't. That's what drives you nuts when you're missing a reference. The compiler seemingly picks some line of code completely at random and tells you this is where the error is, when in fact there is nothing wrong with the line of code cited by the compiler. Unless you know to look for a busted reference you can spend hours pouring over perfectly good code (voice of experience here).

The Calendar Control is one of those that can frequently be a culprit since (AFAIK) it only gets distributed with Access unless you make an effort to deploy it manually/seperately.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation guys . Now that you mention this I recall my code erroring out in one of my workbooks unless I fully qualified native VBA Methods . I never bothered to explore that problem and I am sure I would never have expected the culprit to be a missing reference.

Upvote 0
...I recall my code erroring out in one of my workbooks unless I fully qualified native VBA Methods...

Here's one that will drive you to :oops:

In Excel 2007 create a workbook with any userform and code this:
Code:
Sub foo()
    UserForm1.Show VBA.FormShowConstants.vbModal
End Sub

Now - try to run that code in Excel 2010. It will not compile with the fully qualified constant reference even though the Object Browser in 2010 will list these constants as existing in the VBA library.

The fix is easy enough - simply remove the full reference and just code vbModal. But I have yet to comprehend this.

Upvote 0
Here's one that will drive you to :oops:

In Excel 2007 create a workbook with any userform and code this:
Code:
Sub foo()
    UserForm1.Show VBA.FormShowConstants.vbModal
End Sub
Now - try to run that code in Excel 2010. It will not compile with the fully qualified constant reference even though the Object Browser in 2010 will list these constants as existing in the VBA library.

The fix is easy enough - simply remove the full reference and just code vbModal. But I have yet to comprehend this.

Thanks Greg. I cannot try the code as I don't have Excel 2010 but I wouldn't be surprised for I heard excel 2010 is buggy.

Upvote 0
Greg,
In 2010 you can of course just use:
Code:
Sub foo()
    UserForm1.Show VBA.[__MIDL___MIDL_itf_m_0001_0016_0001].vbModal
End Sub

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back