Copying a formula in a column while keeping one cell a fixed value

This is a discussion on Copying a formula in a column while keeping one cell a fixed value within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I'm trying to duplicate a formula from one cell to all the remaining cells below. I want one cell to ...

Default Copying a formula in a column while keeping one cell a fixed value

I'm trying to duplicate a formula from one cell to all the remaining cells below. I want one cell to remain a constant fixed value in the next cell with the formula using the adjoining cell. The adjoining cell needs to increase in the next cell with one value remaining constant. I know there is an easy way to do this and has probably been covered.
    Thank you

Default Re: Copying a formula in a column while keeping one cell a fixed value

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfisherman63 View Post
    I'm trying to duplicate a formula from one cell to all the remaining cells below. I want one cell to remain a constant fixed value in the next cell with the formula using the adjoining cell. The adjoining cell needs to increase in the next cell with one value remaining constant. I know there is an easy way to do this and has probably been covered.
    Thank you
    Post the formula.
    Biff
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

Using Excel 2002, 2007
    KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

=AG5/I2
    the value at I2 needs to remain constant while the value of AG5 needs to increase by 1. This needs to repeat the entire column.

=AG5/I2
    the value at I2 needs to remain constant while the value of AG5 needs to increase by 1. This needs to repeat the entire column.
    Try this...

=AG5/I$2

The dollar sign will keep the row number constant as the formula is copied down a column.

You can do the same thing with the column letter:

=AG5/$I2

The dollar sign will keep the column letter constant as the formula is copied across a row.

You can use any combination as is needed depending on how you want to copy the formula:

=AG5/I2
    =$AG$5/$I$2
    =$AG5/$I2
    =AG$5/I$2
    =AG$5/$I2
    =$AG5/I$2

This is known as absolute and relative cell referencing. The dollar sign makes that row/column absolute. When the dollar sign is absent then that row/column reference is relative.
    Biff
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

Using Excel 2002, 2007

Thank you for the information. Worked well

Thank you for the information. Worked well
    You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback!
    Biff
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

Using Excel 2002, 2007

Thank-you so much T. Valko for stopping the anguish of not being able to figure this out and not finding anything on the internet until reading your post. I have never signed up for a forum site but had to just to thank-you for the help