Excel Macro that Auto Updates Links/Refreshes

SeanCook

So i am trying to make a macro on a workbook(WB1). It has cells that link to other Workbooks (WB2-WB10). These (WB2-WB10) have two sheets that are linked to an access point which contains "1.xls" and "2.xls" (sheet1 linked to 1.xls, and sheet2 to 2.xls). I have tried a macro that will open the file, update links then save and close. Also tried the same but refreshall instead of update links, then again with a marco that does both, and yet everytime it runs, it goes through all the workbooks one by one, opens them, calculates, saves and closes, and yet when i go back to check, nothing is updated.

I have checked the access data and it is updated, and if i go into each workbook and manually click refresh it does indeed refresh. I am at a loss and dont know what i am doing wrong.

here is the code.

Sub GetFile()
Workbooks.Open "blahblah.xlsx", UpdateLinks:=1
ActiveWorkbook.RefreshAll
ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=True

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Sean

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Perhaps try the following...

Code:
    ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink Name:= "blahblah.xlsx", Type:= xlExcelLinks

If all you want is to refresh the links, that is what I use in some of my workbooks.
Not sure of compatability with versions prior to 2007, but it definitely works in Excel 2007.

Upvote 0
What would the code be to use this against multiple sheets on a network file? I am having major issues with links not working properly and this is a pretty hot item.

We have a master file that has multiple sheets and in the multiple sheets there are links to other spreadsheets within the same network directory.
ex: Master has Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet1 and Sheet2 have links to Child1, Child2 and Child3. All Sheets are protected so that data entry can only occur in specific cells.

When the Master file is opened an error is being returned that the "workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated". The drive is not mapped and the link is \\serverName\ShareName\Folder\Folder\fileName.xlsx

I really need help with this so any feedback will be sincerely appreciated!!!
:mad:

Upvote 0
This is a different issue entirely from the Original Post, but fortunately I saw it come through...

Links that cannot be updated can be due to various problems:
  • the filename changed
  • the file location changed
  • the link has a typo
  • etc.
The easiest way I know of to correct these problems is to open the main file (that is saying it cannot update links) In Excel 2007 you would click the Data tab and select Edit Links.
This will bring up a list of all references to other workbooks. From what you are saying, one or more of those links will have an ERROR in the Status column.

The trick now is to find the cell that uses that reference and then to determine why it isn't linking correctly (see the list above).
To find the cells that reference the broken link, use Excel's FIND feature (CTRL+F).
e.g. the broken link is [MyOtherExcelFile.xls] you could search for MyOtherExcelFile.xls. This will take you to the cell with the broken reference and you will then need to then figure out what to do.
  • rename the other file
  • move the file back to where it was
  • correct the typo in the cell reference
Hopefully this helps.

Upvote 0
Another possible cause of the broken link (for a file on a network drive) is that the computer does not have access to the shared resource.

Upvote 0
Hmmm..I'm at a loss, the file name has not changed and is there are no misspellings. These are for salary reviews and the child files are supposed to feed the master files, the issue is that when the manager opens the master file which has the links to the child files, the data is not updating. I just left the office of the person that created these and when she opens the files, she is not getting the message and the updates from the child files are showing. I had her close without saving, I came back to my desk, opened the same file, I get the error message and the updates are NOT showing.

Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0
If I unprotect the Source sheets, it looks like it will let me edit the links. I'm going to try a couple of other things that I think might work. Maybe I need to write a macro to unprotect the source sheets, update the links then reprotect the source sheets?

Upvote 0
If I unprotect the Source sheets, it looks like it will let me edit the links. I'm going to try a couple of other things that I think might work. Maybe I need to write a macro to unprotect the source sheets, update the links then reprotect the source sheets?

I am stumped. I don't see why unprotecting the source would not be necessary on the other person's computer.
If you create a solution that works, please post what you find.

The references don't use INDIRECT do they? That is the only formula that I know sometimes causes issues with links.

Upvote 0
When you go to the Data tab and select Edit Links, what (if any) error message does it say in the Status column?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back