Combining Column Values Into Single Row Based On One Column Having Equal Values In Multiple Rows

mavigozler

The title might be confusing but I have an example below to show what I want to do. In the image below ("pre-combine rows" image) I show a table of values which was generated by a multi-step process.

The steps in generating it are not really relevant to this problem, but for the curious, I detail the process at the end of the post.

217640d1340402998-excel-combining-rows-based-equal-value-one-column-pre-combine-rows.png

You can see that in column "all x," many rows have identical values: for example there are five rows with value x = 218.9, and six rows with value x = 224.9.

I want to combine all those rows, which combines also the values in the columns y1/z1 through y6/z6. The result should look like the image below ("post-combine-rows" image)

217641d1340402998-excel-combining-rows-based-equal-value-one-column-post-combine-rows.png

20 rows have been combined into 5 rows.

I imagine this is a walk in the park for Excel compared to some of the other procedures that can be done.

While I can read the VBA and Macros book, it will take a few days and much trial-and-error, and I am helping a student on a deadline. Thanks.

[The information below is not necessary or relevant to solving the problem, but is given for those wanting to know how the worksheet data came to look the "pre-combine" image]

How the "pre-combine" table data were made.

These values x, y, and z are data from a scientific instrument--a mass spectrometer---in which x is the mass-to-charge (symbolized as "m/z" in reality_), and y and z are the intensity of the value at x, expressed in different ways (y is absolute intensity, namely a count of ions, and z is the relative intensity, in which intensity is expressed as a percentage of the peak signal of the m/z having the greatest intensity)

So multiple datasets (instrument analyses) of these x-y-z associated values were generated.

Then:

1. Datasets were sorted from largest-to-smallest value based on column z (relative intensity).
  2. The range of x-y-z cells where values of z from 100% to 7.5% were copied to another worksheet.
  3. In pasting, the three columns were pasted with the x column in in the 'all x" column, and each dataset in a row just below the previously pasted dataset.
  4. The y and z values were then separated (cut-and-pasted) into a column just one column to the right of the two columns containing y-z values of the previously cut-and-pasted y-z values of the previous dataset
  5. The entire range of cells with the "all x" column and all the columns of y-z paired data were selected
  6. A smallest-to-largest values sort was then done on the "all x" column, thus generating the table seen.

This was done manually for about 40-45 separate workbooks, for a total of perhaps 400-500 of these datasets.

If my VBA knowledge was similar to my knowledge of PHP/Javascript/HTML/CSS, I probably could have done this repetitive process automagically. The purpose of setting up this table is compare results between different analytical conditions.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back