PLZ help with excel, simple question. formula keeps changing

lukasz70

hi, i need some help with excel,
i gotta a project due, and everything works in excel except when i update some info and shift the rows up, the formulas on the other worksheets change automatically, i dont want the formulas to change, i want them to stay the same and keep using the data cell im making it use, but instead when i move the rows up the formula follows that data and changes itself.

here is a sample of what i mean, hopefully it will open

http://lukasz70.50megs.com/Book1.xls right click save as.

k, here is my problem, the formula at the bottom calculates from rows 3-9, and row 10 is new data thats you just put in, but you still only want to use row 3-9, so you delete the data from row 3, and shift the data up, so that what you put into row 10 is now in row 9. so you kinda taking out teh old data and putting in the new. the problem is when you shift the rows, the formula changes and it only counts the thing from row 3-8, i want it to keep counting to row 9 but it changes itself

is there any way to lock the formula? make it stay the same so it doesn't follow the data/change by itself?

thank you

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Re: PLZ help with excel, simple question. formula keeps chan

To fix a cell or a range of cells, use absolute addressing, accomplished by prefixing the $ sign, thus:

To refer to cell B4, no matter how many rows you add or delete, use B$4.
To refer to cell B4, no matter how many columns you add or delete, use $B4.
To refer to cell B4, no matter how many rows and/or columns you add or delete, use $B$4.

Hopefully, you can now make the necessary changes to your formula(s) to accomplish your goals.

Upvote 0

it still doesn't work
k the formula is just a sum formula =SUM(B3:O9)
it goes to row 9 row 10 is new data,
so here is what i do, i delete row 3, and and want row 10 to be row 9, so i shift everythig to up one row, but the formula changed and becomes =SUM(B3:O8) it changes by one row,

i did the $ so the formula was =SUM(B$3:O$9) but it stilll changes to =SUM(B$3:O$8)

Upvote 0

lukasz70 said:
it still doesn't work
k the formula is just a sum formula =SUM(B3:O9)
it goes to row 9 row 10 is new data,
so here is what i do, i delete row 3, and and want row 10 to be row 9, so i shift everythig to up one row, but the formula changed and becomes =SUM(B3:O8) it changes by one row,

i did the $ so the formula was =SUM(B$3:O$9) but it stilll changes to =SUM(B$3:O$8)

=SUM(INDIRECT("B3:O9"))

Upvote 0

I LOVE YOU

it works!!!
i just have to put this into about 64 formulas, but it works,
here is the actual formula that i edited =SUM(INDIRECT("DATA!D6:O8"))

i'll know once im putting your formula in, but i might have to do that to parts of this formula to :cry: thats gonna mess me up lol,
=IF(SUM(DATA!D51:O53)=0,SUM(B15:D15)/(1-AVERAGE(E7,E10,E13))-(SUM(B15:D15)),SUM(DATA!D51:O53))

Upvote 0

Sorry, my suggestion is wrong anddoesn't work for the row deletions. However, Aladin's method works like a charm! Kudos to you, oh Aladin! :pray:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syzer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back