nanaming tabs to fit formulas

TheMiz

Hi there, I have a worksheet with vlookups referencing other tabs in the workbook. My plan is to replace a few of those tabs, so I have created new worksheets and tried to just change the name of the new tab to match the old one (so the vlookups will still work).

However I get an error stating "Cannot rename a sheet to the same name as another sheet, referenced object library or a workbook referenced by Visual Basic". I have changed the name of the original tab but the vlookups just change to the new tab name.

Is there any way to work around this? Thanks!

xpost-http://www.excelbanter.com/showthread.php?p=1609217#post1609217

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hello

I am not following you entirely, why don't you just the rename the sheet(s) right away.
Excel will adapt the formulas for you, automatically.
Unless you use functions like INDIRECT where the sheet name is hardcoded as text, rather than a cell reference to a different sheet.

Upvote 0
Hello

I am not following you entirely, why don't you just the rename the sheet(s) right away.
Excel will adapt the formulas for you, automatically.
Unless you use functions like INDIRECT where the sheet name is hardcoded as text, rather than a cell reference to a different sheet.

Thanks for responding wigi. I'll explain some more.

Right now I have a sheet with vlookups referencing other sheets (tab A, tab B, tab C). I have to replace tabs A-C and created different tabs. When I change the name of Tab A (so that I can rename the new tabs to Tab A), the vlookups change to whatever I rename them to. So how do I get the vlookups to reference the new tabs I created?

Hope this helps. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hello

Either you keep on working with tabs A, B, C but change their contents. The VLOOKUPs can still refer the same sheet names.
Either you add several tabs and do 1 or more Find/Replace actions to replace sheet name "x" into sheet name "y".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTXS

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back